2WD to 4WD conversion in 1998 Galant

VRS

Car
Galant 7G
A couple of years back, I managed to swap a 4G63 engine for a 4G63T engine in a 1992 Galant model. Met some challenges setting up the 4WD configuration though as the gas tanks are different between the 2WD vs the 4WD configuration.

This year, I am considering a new project where I'd like to swap a 6a13TT engine for a 6a13 engine in a 1998 Mit Galant body.

Appreciate it if anyone can please nudge me into the right direction if the gas tanks between the 2WD configuration and the 4WD configuration of the 1998 Galant body are different?

Appreciate some advice as well on how to miminize the project's learning curve.

Thanks.

I'm sorry I can't help answer that, I've asked around but keep drawing blanks. Please post up your findings and tips so that anyone else who follows your project will know what to do.

Your best option is probably to compare part numbers from the main dealers to see if they match up. There might even be an online part shop that will give this information.

What's the issue with the tanks? How are they different and what needs to change?

Have a long hard think about it, if you can manage the rest of the project I'm sure you'll get it sorted with a bit of brain power.

Thanks for your inputs Folks. Will keep you posted on the adventure.

As for the gas tanks, the old gas tank of the FWD body was in the way of the propeller shaft going to the rear differential. From there, I reckon the gas tanks were different. It was quite painful though as the rear suspension was already dismantled when we realized it.

I guess we could have been smarter... Oh well...

VRS