Galant 2.5 v6 sport brake upgrades

M

martimcfly

I've just got a 2.5 v6 and want to start with upgrading the brakes as the discs need replacing anyway. The discs are 256mm 4stud , ideally I would want bigger disks but it would not be worth spending thousands on a car that is only worth two. The 256mm discs are also used on the Carisma, and other Carisma models use the larger 281mm ones. What Im wondering is does any one know if I could use these with the Carisma calipers ?
And if so would they be a straight fit.
Any suggestions welcomed

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck! :)

what year is the car? i just happen to have a 2001 sport sat on my drive with all sorts of bits that you might want including a VR4 front strut brace and newish brakes all round. braided lines for sale as they are no use when i upgrade to brembos

update on this just in case anyone else happens to ask

1996 - 1999 2.5 V6-24v (pre-facelift)
buy the following items for the front
1996 - 1997 VR4 calipers
VR4 or EVO 4 pads
VR4 or EVO 4 discs (294mm)
take the discs along to an engineering company with one of your own cars brake discs and they can drill the new discs to fit either 4 or 5 stud hubs (cost around £20)

2000 - 2003 2.5 V6 (facelift)
1998 - 2003 VR4 calipers
VR4 pads
VR4 discs
same as above

the reason they are separated is because the hub carriers were changed between pre-facelift and facelift models and the calipers must match the hub carriers. they are not interchangeable. i have just found this out by taking the hub carriers from my FL V6 and fitting them to my PFL VR4. brembos only fit the FL hub carriers so i needed to swap them but my alloys didnt clear the brembos so i tried fitting the standard brakes on but they didnt fit the FL hub carriers. the temporary solution was use the FL V6 calipers and have the discs drilled to fit the 5 stud hubs

another option for the FL 2.5 V6 is to fit brembos although you would still need to have the discs drilled plus find a set of alloys that would clear them. i had to get standard EVO alloys but they will not fit a UK car as all UK variants are 4 stud and all VR4s and EVOs are 5 stud

digging up an old one here.

but i did the conversion on my old pre facelift V6 Galant a few years back, by taking the the brakes from a VR4 (disks and calipers etc...)
you will need to drill an extra hole and slightly jiggle another to make them fit. but what an upgrade!, i went from single pot to twin pot and the need to peel my face off the screen.
what also helps is slinging in some carbotec pads. works wonders and the bedding in instruction is much much fun, if you can do that at night and make sure you have a camera on stand by as you will need it ;)

my next upgrade is to put brembos on my vr4, but being a pre face lift i need facelift hubs. all has been got not and i just need time to do the swap.

Last edited: