1993 GTO twin turbo

dnice

hey! i just recently got my car.. about a day ago i noticed that when im driving the engine revs and sounds good but there is no power going to the wheels.. i dont know if maybe i need a new clutch or just to change the air filter or cold air in take.. can any one help me out and give me some tips on how to tell.. thanks

cool thanks.. thats what i was thinking .. i never had to change a clutch before.. should i get a stage 2 clutch or stage 3 ?

"Stages" don't mean a great deal as one company might sell a stage 1 for one power range and another would have this as their stage 2.

There are quite a few clutches around, if you are planning some power upgrades then make sure the clutch can handle this. Heavy clutches can be a pain in traffic so although it sounds good to get a 900bhp rated clutch you will end up with a real pig of a drive.

You might also be getting transmission losses, its not an auto is it?

To test the clutch hold it at a steady 30 in second gear, then press the accelerator hard. The speed should go up with the revs, if these rates do not match then you are getting clutch slip.

While you are changing the clutch you might want to get a lighter flywheel as well, this will help it rev more freely.

On these cars the ECUs components can fail (resistors I think), its worth investigating this and replacing the PCB components ASAP as after they fail you will need a new ECU and this can be very expensive.

Depends on your driving style and if you plan to do more then just road driving, ie track days,
If you are looking for a good paddle clutch let me know i have a few of the best companies, wayne is right a lightweight flywheel is a good option for your car if you plan to do track days etc as well, not so good on th road as the car will idle a bit 'lumpy' as the flywheel keeps the inertia smooth

Is there a grating noise when you try to drive ? The most common problem on these motors, especially of that age is the output shaft. This is the component which converts power to your rear wheels via the transfer box.
If your GTO is a genuine '93 you will have what is known as a 25 spline gearbox. This refers directly to the amount of splines on the output shaft and obviously the mating coupler in the transfer box. Both items, along with new seals will have to be replaced if this is the problem.
The output shaft can only be removed from the gearbox with the end casing of the gearbox removed.
The coupler will come out of the transfer box with the outer face removed.
There is much more to it than this but it will take me ages to do a step by step guide.

If it is a clutch problem, a standard LUK clutch will support up to 400 b.h.p. but make sure the flywheel is machined, along with the posts on it or fitting a new clutch is a complete waste of time.