Car Modification Courses.

choness2004

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EG
All,

I don't know if there is any near you that you know of but I haven't been able to find any on google, but are there any courses in your area that will help do the basics on car modifications?

If there isn't and I'm just getting my hopes up, are there any part time/evening college courses that you would recommend me doing to help me get abit more of the know-how in my car to help with basic mods?

And before any of yoou say, I know alot of it is practice and tial & error but I am short on money and don't really want to be wasting money. Thats a future experience ;)

Thanks all,

Corey.

wont find one for modding but you will find one for motor mechanic's or just fitting as the nvq is now really

but i will say unless you work at a garage and do one day a week at college the ful time courses are a waste of time as they are full of kids that dont want to learn and are there cos they dont know what to do

but is at the end of the day practice and tial & error

Like Matt says though, it'll just be full of chavs and wasters rather than those willing to learn. And I can't see it being of any help in the real world. Mechanics ftw if you want to get into cars, then go from there.

We put our first apprentice through the local tech college course. It was o.k. for basic mechanics and he finished the whole four year course in two years with a 98% pass.[It may have been 95%, can't remember :embarrest:]
We decided that it wasn't really indepth enough for the work we do so now our apprentices attend the National Motorsport Academy at Silverstone. Due to the distance factor, commuting isn't a possibility so they attend in four week block periods. We are the only company in Cornwall who has ever had apprentices accepted for this course. :D
Ultimately there is only one way to learn, properly. You can pick up tips or bits from forums and mates but it's not always correct. I have seen many mods done by enthusiastic amateurs and some of them are the basis of horror stories and downright dangerous. They probably cost more to rectify than it would have cost to have the job done properly in the first place.
Before i get blasted here by everyone who thinks their mods are brilliant, obviously there are some very competent home mechanics. Percentage wise though i would guess there's more who really haven't a clue how bad their work really is, than those who have done a very good, safe and reliable upgrade.
Why don't you search for a local garage who are into motorsport/rally etc and try to get either an apprenticeship with them or as a starter, a Saturday job. It works, both of our apprentices started as Saturday lads, one came to us for work experience prior to that.
We have also had plenty of work experience lads who wouldn't get that offer. We had one work experience lad who was as keen as mustard and i offered him a Saturday job when he turned 16. For the first few weeks his enthusiasm was good then it dropped off and he ended up without his chance.
If you get offered something, grab it with both hands and see how it goes from there.
Good luck in what you try.