Yaris 2008 1.5L 3D – how to make a driver’s seat foldable?

Yaris 2008 1.5L 3D – how to make a driver’s seat foldable?

Hi Guys

I’ve got Yaris 2008 1.5L 3D, USA standards, left steer wheel. it’s a nice and smart car, I test its character in Russian winter conditions these days and first results are quite acceptable ( without comparison to my another pet - 3.0L 4X4 Outlander XL).

There is quite a problem resulting from its 3-door feature – driver’s seat is not foldable, so you have to make some acrobatic movements to put something on rear seat. It is also very uncomfortable to get a passenger from right side only. I understand that the reason is safety and accept it – generally. But it could be nice and sage in Mariland state but not in my case. Quite often you got a passenger from a street with no pedestrian path but only a snow hill instead. In countryside or in a yard, far from autobahns, you still have to use only left side to reach the rear seat with your belongings.

So, the idea is to change that handicap on a way to comfortable living and driving.

Ideas already considered and rejected:
1. To change a drivers’ seat with a passenger’s one from another car. The problem is with side airbags which are mounted inside the seat. These shoulkd be kept working.
2. To change a car for 5doors version. :) No, this one looks nice and I like it.

Ideas currently under considerations:
1. To change a drivers’ seat with a one from Japanese version (right-side steering wheel). Seems to be the easiest but quite expensive solution.
2. To make some changes in the seats's construction. Still got no ideas about practical side of it. Seems to be much cheaper.

Featires to be adressed
1) Folding mechnism inside the seat
2) Folding knob for manual push and pull

The seat is pretty mechnical, without electric engine or such stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas and, much more expected, experience in solving the problem? Your opinion will be of great value, Guys!

Regards,
Ncham

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back