winter wheels / tyres

people have been saying that, we're not prepared enough

I agree that "summer" or "all season" tyres don't work so well in cold temps, they feel hard and not very flexible but does that still warrant changing over every six months?

you cant have it both ways. your saying as a country were not prepared. but then ask if fitting something that will help, does it warrant changing.

ok takes what 10-15 mins to change all 4 wheels
and look at the difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ncga6UxlHM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drOtBWhGxks&feature=related

its not the country that needs to prepare, instead try preparing yourself a little for winter

The people who were saying that we aren't prepared were actually our local councilors and MP's, I see the difference a set of winter tyres can make and if you have to put up with it year on year then there is a case for spending a little more on a set, but, the point i was trying to make was: if you don't experience snowy/icy conditions regularly, if at all, then the only difference you'll see is in the lightness of your wallet. Other more affected countries have made winter tyres law because they need to. You wouldn't go out and buy a boat because there is a thousand to one chance your town might flood, would you? the fact is it's the weather, it happens and because people aren't taught to drive in these conditions is the only reason there are so many accidents.

The people who were saying that we aren't prepared were actually our local councilors and MP's, I see the difference a set of winter tyres can make and if you have to put up with it year on year then there is a case for spending a little more on a set, but, the point i was trying to make was: if you don't experience snowy/icy conditions regularly, if at all, then the only difference you'll see is in the lightness of your wallet. Other more affected countries have made winter tyres law because they need to. You wouldn't go out and buy a boat because there is a thousand to one chance your town might flood, would you? the fact is it's the weather, it happens and because people aren't taught to drive in these conditions is the only reason there are so many accidents.
there is going to be a flood in my village:amazed: im off to buy a dingy:amuse:

i honestly see us having snow/ice each year from now on and worsening. so a set of all season/winter tyres imo would be worth investing in for the future!

there is going to be a flood in my village:amazed: im off to buy a dingy:amuse:

i honestly see us having snow/ice each year from now on and worsening. so a set of all season/winter tyres imo would be worth investing in for the future!

We will have more ice and snow. That's because of global warming.

So it's all the people who drive big 4X4s around who are to blame for it :lol::lol::lol:

I'm getting my threads crossed :lol:

Last edited:

but the point is winter tyres arent just for snow they are better at conditions below 7 degrees are you trying to say Waymouth stays above 7 during autumn winter time. then fine yes really you arent going to see a massive difference. but i doubt very little of this country stays above that over 9 months of the year. one of the videos i put up showed the car on a soaked road - no ice, or snow

the MP and councillor moan every year we arent ready, who is to blame for that. them, us, god? they moan but do you ever see them out helping dispense the grit, helping the elderly.
christ i heard folk on the radio moaning that the country had ground to a halt because the M25 had ground to a halt because of the weather, one was blaming the govt. for poor infrastructure. why ? the M25 is at a hat every rush hour anyway.

wife works at a hospital a woman phoned today to cancel her appointment, reason the weather. there has been little snow and she lived under a mile from the hospital. what was wrong with her getting out and using her feet.

really gets me that people are willing to blame everyone else rather than spend a little time thinking and doing something for themselves - not directed at you but a lot of the population of this country

Of course like the rest of the country the temperature in Weymouth has dropped well below freezing, but here it doesn't stay that cold for that long, i know it has been snowing in parts of the country for over three weeks, i don't deny that the tyres work they do and i wouldn't judge anybody fitting them to their car, all the better they do really if they actually need to. i just don't think two years of sporadic snow fall makes a predictable weather pattern therefore you can't prepare for something you don't know is coming. But i do realize things are a lot different elsewhere

i have prepared for the winter by getting new tyres all round, a bag of sand in the boot along with a spade, gloves and an extra wooly hat.
my car didnt get stuck this time thank god lol.
as for local goverment not being prepared with grit and so on then whats new ? they never are.
did think about getting winter rubber but decided against it as, once/twice a year we get snow, not worth the extra expense (for me) imo.

added the bag of sand to put a bit of weight over back wheels incase any1 thinks ive gone mad lol.

I was thinking that the sand was to put down if you got stuck.
Our council is putting down more sand than salt at the min as a 60:40 mix to try and cope with the cold weathr

i have prepared for the winter by getting new tyres all round, a bag of sand in the boot along with a spade, gloves and an extra wooly hat.
my car didnt get stuck this time thank god lol.
as for local goverment not being prepared with grit and so on then whats new ? they never are.
did think about getting winter rubber but decided against it as, once/twice a year we get snow, not worth the extra expense (for me) imo.

added the bag of sand to put a bit of weight over back wheels incase any1 thinks ive gone mad lol.

That's fine until it turns the back end into a pendulum, thus leaving you with more correction to do.

I've had no problems with the 5 series in snow and ice. Strangely I've always found snow to be worse (in any car) that ice because it clogs up the tyres' treads. The ice, although very low Mu does at least stay put on the road surface.

hi hdi, how r u ?

the bag of sand only weighs a few kg. just a small bag exactly for that reason (pendulum effect) but looked out this morning and most of the ice and snow had gone :)