Wider tyres

pwcars

Car
V60 D5 215 SE LUX
Hi - my D5 V60 is a lovely drive, but came with 215/50/17 tyres.
I took a calculated gamble by fitting a set of Kumho 235/50/17 tyres which worked out really well. With another cm of tyre width either side of the alloys there is much better protection of the rims; the handling is still superb; the ride is much improved because there's anther cm of tyre between the wheel and the tarmac - and the speedo now reads correctly as it was 3% optimistic before.
Those nice people at Event-tyres only charged £450 total for the set - and I'll use the original tyres to upgrade one of our V50 from 205 to 215 width. The beauty of it is that the wider tyres cost the same as the narrower sections and should last longer. Because they aren't low profile they don't tram line either. Lastly, there's less chance of bending a rim or bursting a tyre on the dried-up riverbeds that have replaced the roads in South Bucks... All in all a great result!

Hi there, I hope you are well. May I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

There's a top tip for tyre selections.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do. (It gets quite addictive at times.)

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"! (It's also great when people start new threads and discussions and all adds to the great debate.)

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

Hi Waynne,
Thanks for the warm welcome!
It occurs to me that the first time I came across torquecars was when I was googling to see if anyone had put wider tyres on a Toyota iQ. They're such an entertaining car but the standard tyres are so narrow that they're expensive - you can save quite a lot of money by going for wider section tyres with the same benefits I get on my V60.

Hey matey welcome to T.C, glad to hear it all worked out, I was a bit greedy and went from 205 to 235 and had to roll the arches to make em fit, also from 16'' to 18'', what a job but well worth it.

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back