which oil

bolder

Wrench Pro
Car
astra 2.2 bertone
which oil to use in a clio 1.8 rsi, 96 plate, 92000 miles on the clock, i dont have the maual and just need 2 know what oil to use to top up with

I'd go with fully synth every time, some people will say you shouldnt change from semi to full if its been run on semi....thats plain old bull tbh!

Depends on budget....

I used to buy off opie oils, personally i used to use motul 5w 40 in mine, about 35 for 4 litres. Then again im a bit anal with my oil and also change it every 3000miles.

If you change your oil regularly then you dont really need the most expensive stuff or anything, changing it regularly is more important. Not that encouraging to skimp on oil.

What im trying to get across is...you dont NEED to spend mega bucks. Shell helix for example would be fine, castrol magnatec etc. If you want to go mad royal purple is highly rated :bigsmile:

yeah im nt that bad im happy if the car turns on in the morning, i dont expect that much from it, thank you 4 your answers, will gt the 10 40 nxt time i need fuel which is neva long lol

if its been run on semi i wouldnt bother switching to fully more for the cost if your going to change it often.

to give you an idea mine cost me £55 for 5 ltrs of 5w30 thats fully synth VW rated.
my civic used semi and it was around £20 for 5 ltrs.
i change oil every 5-6000 miles even though the amsoil is rated for long service 25k miles

If your car has a particle filter then you absolutely must stick to an oil with a low sulfated ash content.

As far as I know there is not semi-synthetic that can yet meet the CH-4, CI, and CJ-4 requirements.

So, you're stuck with pricey oils.

I've become very fond of AMSOIL DEO as it seems to do the job.

TorqueCars members get a discount at opeioils (see the news section) Oilman on here works for them and can give you advice on oils or you can email them directly.

Using too thin an oil in an old/high mileage engine is as bad as using too thick an oil. I've seen a lot of people putting in really thin Fully Sythetic and then wondering why their car is starting to smoke.

I've seen many people putting an oil that's too viscous into an engine and then wondering how it's smoking.

Simple - crankcase pressure builds up and the stuff is forced past the oil scraper rings.

Synthetics are not necessarily thinner, or less viscous than minerals or semis.

If you want some really bad advice the try www.dieselbob.co.uk

Point taken. Synthetics are not necissarily thinner but they are usually only available in the thinner grades.

I disagree about thinner oil causing smoking...For example a 5w40 is more viscous than a 10w40 when cold, and exactly the same at 100derees C.

So if an engine doesnt smoke with 10w40 when warm, it shouldnt smoke with 5w40 at all either, as at operating temp the 10w40 is thinner than 5w40 when cold.

Wrong. A cold 5w/40 is less viscous than a 10w/40 when cold. At operating temp they'll be of the same viscosity. That's what the 40 means.

Multigrade oils work by virtue of having VI improvers in the additive pack.

More viscous = runnier?

If so then i am correct, if not i got my words mixed up :toung:

Bottom line is...5w40 is thinner than 10w40 when cold

OK, got what you're at now!

More viscous is thicker. Yes, 5w is runnier than 10w when cold.

Its always a good idea to use the NARROWEST multigrade you can as this means less VIs, in turn this means a more stable oil.

So if you can use a 10w/20 then do so.

You're in danger of doin' an HD here. Mixin' words is my trademark

I've seen lots of smokey engines down to wrong oil grade used. Even if both have the same viscosity at operating temperature the problem happens as the engine is warming up when the viscosity is much lower than it should be when cold.

Last edited:
I've seen lots of smokey engines down to wrong oil grade used. Even if both have the same viscosity at operating temperature the problem happens as the engine is warming up when the viscosity is much lower than it should be.

Oil always gets less viscous as it warms up. The reason for smoking during warm up is more likely to be because the oil is too thin anyway and it's getting past rings and valve stem seals which have yet to expand to their correct size.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back