Which oil???

stimsonlee

Wrench Pro
Car
Audi A3 1.8T
Hi AGAIN guys!

What oil can you recommend for my 1999 1.8t a3??

Also a quick update!

Having my turbo rebuilt to the k03 hybrid next monday, followed by a turbo back decat system, fmic (any suggestions??), and injectors. Then remapped by Custom code to get 270-280 bhp...

Suggestions on the oil and fmic please.

After a fmic that fits first time without the need for bending and adjusting pipes....

Thanks alot :D

With a car modified to that level you have to stick firmly in the premium synthetic market simply for the oil to withstand the thermal stresses to which it will be subjected.

And the usual advice for anything turbocharged: Never turn off the engine without letting it idle a minute or two for temperatures to stabilise. Doing so is hell for the turbocharger's bearings.

With a car modified to that level you have to stick firmly in the premium synthetic market simply for the oil to withstand the thermal stresses to which it will be subjected.

And the usual advice for anything turbocharged: Never turn off the engine without letting it idle a minute or two for temperatures to stabilise. Doing so is hell for the turbocharger's bearings.

Yeh always let my engine cool down on my impreza after I cained it :D. Drive normally a mile before you get home is the best way, saves sitting around. Any ideas on the fmic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Official oil spec is fully synthetic 5w30 VW 501 spec for longlife - I still change it every 12 months 9000 miles though. Oil man will make some good recommendations for you. Make sure you get the good stuff though!

An FMIC is a pain as the intake on the 1.8T comes off the right hand side, on the TT it is left hand side and the left hand side is easier to plumb in a FMIC. The current intercooler is in the nearside wing! :eek: Be prepared to get a new intake manifold rather than trying to bodge a FMIC from the existing one.

Have a chat with Awesome GTI in Manchester as they have some suitable intercoolers etc...

I quite like awesome GTi, they have a good product range and good attitude. You won't end up with a car that goes bang or does 3mpg all the time!:)

go to VW and get the oil think its only around £35 for the 5ltrs

forge do a nice intercooler for it that requires little cutting of the bumper but its pricey. or they also do a larger side mount intercooler for around £400

that's actually not bad for proper oil, but I would rather get the FMIC and cut the bumper a bit, I just think it would be a bit more affective

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back