What do you think of the 330i

Re: 330i

I've driven a 4 door one (2002 model) and it's exactlty what you'd expect from a 3 series with a decent size engine. ie. quick, quiet and comfortable. But I'd still go for a 330d or better a 335d over the petrol one because they're even livlier. Don't muck about with manual boxes either - the 6 spd auto is superb.

I've driven a 4 door one (2002 model) and it's exactlty what you'd expect from a 3 series with a decent size engine. ie. quick, quiet and comfortable. But I'd still go for a 330d or better a 335d over the petrol one because they're even livlier. Don't muck about with manual boxes either - the 6 spd auto is superb.

Cheers
Mine is petrol and manual i find it very quick.

I've been impressed - quick and good cruisers. They have quite long gearing - I guess it is a German thing. A close ratio box and de-restriction (if MPH limited) would be ace!

Not brilliant on fuel though - it must be said!

Long gearing is ideal for driving at 150mph on Autobahns. There's still enough revs in a petrol straight six to not need short gears. Can't say I've found a three litre 3 series lacking in the performance department.

I'm not sure that they're too bad on fuel either. Further, the 335d isn't exactly economical either if you use the shove that's on offer.

thanks guys
close ratio box would be fine, but where to get one?
I suppose there is a few things to tune them up a bit, but i dont know much on that, unless you tuning guys on here do.
Murray.

thanks guys
close ratio box would be fine, but where to get one?
I suppose there is a few things to tune them up a bit, but i dont know much on that, unless you tuning guys on here do.
Murray.

What do you plan to achieve with a close ratio box/final drive? Make even more work for the traction control? And even more work for you changing up constantly because you're driving into the limiter (which is around 7000rpm)?

It's possible to spoil a good road car like this.

330's are pretty bloody lively from the factory

What do you plan to achieve with a close ratio box/final drive? Make even more work for the traction control? And even more work for you changing up constantly because you're driving into the limiter (which is around 7000rpm)?

It's possible to spoil a good road car like this.

330's are pretty bloody lively from the factory

perhaps your right lot of expense for little gain, and as you say why spoil it.
Cheers

If it were for track use it would be a different proposition.

I've just looked at fuel figures and can't beleive my eyes 39mpg? Is that right from a 3.0 lump?

I've just looked at fuel figures and can't beleive my eyes 39mpg? Is that right from a 3.0 lump?

Yes, although as we all know you'll struggle to match it in real world usage. If you treated the official combined figures as indices then you can get a feel for how one car compares to another.

You'll probably find that a 1.8 Vectra SRi (which is a horrid and slow car) also claims about 39mpg. It won't achieve it either, but the 330 will generally be comparable in everyday use.

I know the official testing process is not really representative of real world driving but everyones driving and journeys are different.

At least the current testing method is consistent and repeatable.

i did not know that figures, just shows what a great site this is.
I better leave car as it is its the old story want m3 performance without having to buy one.
Cheers