weight loss

nig

Torque Junkie
Car
rover 200 1.4si ish
how much weight have you lost on your car . and did you notice the change.. myzzr1100 was 228ks lost 74ks and it scared the pants of me it was so aggressive. and how far would you go ie drilling across the flats and through the centre of the bolts. lost 8kgs from engine was a pig to bump start.im will look for a scrap car so i can get an ider from the trim ect

My car weighs in at over 1500kg. This is not a problem for me as it's pretty lively, especially with the custom ECU map. I suspect that you could lose a lot of excess weight by stripping it bare and leaving just the essentials. I like the comfort and refinement as it is so I have no plans to chop it to bits!

92kgs so far just from the interior of a 1000kg car. Heaters, leccy windows and sunroof still in though. Not sure what I want to do with them yet. Full loom is still in so a few kgs can be lost form stripping out unwanted wires from the loom.

I'm struggling to lose anything from my engine bay though tbh. ABS will be going but I'm keeping PAS I think, as it is essentially still going to be a road car.

Any tips nig?

92kgs so far just from the interior of a 1000kg car. Heaters, leccy windows and sunroof still in though. Not sure what I want to do with them yet. Full loom is still in so a few kgs can be lost form stripping out unwanted wires from the loom.

I'm struggling to lose anything from my engine bay though tbh. ABS will be going but I'm keeping PAS I think, as it is essentially still going to be a road car.

Any tips nig?
were do i start ,whot i will do is start a list of things i think of .a few i can think of now drilling bolts and old motor bike racer told me bolts are 7 time over engereard once bolts were drilled across flats he would wire them togeather .sorry about spelling , raidus any corners, non stress brackets,ally or carbon fiber save loads and i think im right is for every 100 degres you drop in the air box/filter give around 10% power increse. only done bikes, first time on a car but will keep anyone intrested by up dating my groupe (rover200) made today
,sound /anit vibtating pads inside the doors and boot

All the soundproofing is gone, behind the dash, everywhere. Fibreglass bonnet is going on (can't find a Carbon Fibre one that's good enough quality and prices are unreasonable for a custom one) and likely fibreglass wings if I can find any as most are horrible aftermarket ones or wide-arch.

If I could justify the cost imagine how awesome a CF rookskin would be!

I've got electric adjustable front seats (4 motors in each seat). These are very heavy ideed. Chuck them out and get me down from my 106kg (which would involve the amputation of a limb or two) would make quite a difference :)

If I were to ditch the sound insulation (there's lots) and all the other superfluous stuff ie: ABS, PAS, A/C, (window motors all round adds quite a few kg as well). Remove spare wheel (which is a full size one but made of steel so heavy) and carry tyreweld instead.

Carpets out, rear seats out etc etc.

This would all add up to a very significant saving. But, you guessed - it ain't happenin.

There is plenty to lose from a car, but that will depend on how far you wish to go. I did the lightening regime on bikes, as I worked on building 750 superbikes, the things you do!

As for cars, well on my track cars the door skins would come off, polycarbonate windows, dash removed and custom one made. Wiring stripped and re-wired for essential items. 2" holes drilled where it isn't structural, these days it means practically nowhere! The usual removal of everything inside the cab.

On my last track day, 19th March, my brother-in-law came along for the ride, so I would suggest just one seat! The extra 75kg really made a difference with both handling and performance!

I'm trying my hardest not to strip mine out as it is a daily commuter, 350 miles a week!

deceded to get another car the same stip that and keep the spares, and lose as much as poss. like the ider of a rally car but for fun not serous

Last edited:
remove the glass an install perspex windows, this shold get some of the weight down. i dont worry too much about the weight as at 115kgs i know where to look first to get this down. but my scooby has all the heated nonsense in the seats etc.. but really on a cold winters morning it just feels good to have this.

Sorry, but can't help myself.................not perspex windows as they will shatter even if looked at in a funny way! use polycarbonate like Lexan or Makrolon :blink1: