Unleaded Petrol

dpsubaru

The Torque Meister
Car
Subaru WRX Turbo 04
Why is it called unleaded and super unleaded? Lead isnt in petrol naturally (might be wrong on this but didnt think lead was in oil) and only started to be added in the US in the 1920's to reduce engine knock.

So therefore they havent removed any lead, why not just call it petrol? this is what is it? They could have called it uncoloured petrol or anything.

"In some parts of South America, Asia, Eastern Europe and the Middle East, leaded gasoline is still in use. Leaded gasoline was phased out in sub-Saharan Africa effective 1 January 2006. A growing number of countries have drawn up plans to ban leaded gasoline in the near future. However, in Britain there is now a growing market for using Four Star leaded petrol in classic cars and motorcycles because of detonation and valve seat erosion. A sole petroleum wholesaler, the Bayford Group, is EU-licenced to distribute the leaded fuel and it is sold at select outlets around the UK. Not all counties are covered and the fuel costs approximately twice that of unleaded petrol."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline

I even remember when pumps offered 3 and 4 star leaded petrol.

Are the lead replacement additives no good on the classic heads? I know a good few MGB owners who stripped down their engines to make them run on this new fangled lead free stuff!;) I had no idea you could still buy leaded fuel, I thought it had just been banned.

I suppose it's because for decades the word 'petrol' meant 'volatile petroleum spirit with added tetraethyl lead in order to reduce engine knock'.

So, for clarity the fuel companies marketing departments all decided upon the term 'unleaded'.

If they'd used the word 'deleaded' (like decaffinated) then that would be technically incorrect.

I actually thought 'lead free' would have been better. It's also easier to say than 'unleaded'.

Waynne, I remember 2 star and 5 star!

when i started driving i only had cars running on 4 star (they were cheaper to buy). didnt know they had 5 star, thought this was a 80's pop band?

cant you buy a "lead substitute" to poor into the tank as an addition to the unleaded petrol?