Turbo's

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
Just a question are all turbo's the same fitment or are they different. I was just wondering if I could take a turbo off another car or has it got to be Rover? Any idea's anyone.

Turbos are very similar, they have different internals to allow varying spool up speeds and boost pressures. Exhaust pipes are also different sizes so the turbo will need to fit or have suitable plumbing.

Each car needs different boost and characteristics which are generally performed by the Recirc valve and wastegate. These need to be carefully set up for you application.

In reality there are only a few turbo makers with Garrett being the most recognised.

An OEM spec replacement will be a straight no fiddling swap. A big turbo conversion will need some plumbing work;)

Turbos are very similar, they have different internals to allow varying spool up speeds and boost pressures. Exhaust pipes are also different sizes so the turbo will need to fit or have suitable plumbing.

Each car needs different boost and characteristics which are generally performed by the Recirc valve and wastegate. These need to be carefully set up for you application.

In reality there are only a few turbo makers with Garrett being the most recognised.

An OEM spec replacement will be a straight no fiddling swap. A big turbo conversion will need some plumbing work;)

So would say a standard rover 800 turbo fit? An also Waynne do you know anything about the T28 upgrade for these engines? I've heard if I run a T28 I can get lower intake and intercooler temps. Is this true?

I've not read up about the T28 on the 620's. The 800 Turbo should be a straight swap for your block as it is the same block, I'm not sure about the exhaust design though. Get your current turbo upgraded with ball bearings and different profile internals from someone like AET turbos.

Intercoolers have a bigger effect on intake temp than the turbo design, generally speaking the more pressure the greater the temp increase.

I've not read up about the T28 on the 620's. The 800 Turbo should be a straight swap for your block as it is the same block, I'm not sure about the exhaust design though. Get your current turbo upgraded with ball bearings and different profile internals from someone like AET turbos.

Intercoolers have a bigger effect on intake temp than the turbo design, generally speaking the more pressure the greater the temp increase.

That was the debate and they said the t28 would be able to run lower boost but more power?

Nope - the turbos are common to both diesels and petrols. All a turbo does is shove in more air than the engine would draw naturally.

Some more pressure = more air.

Nope - the turbos are common to both diesels and petrols. All a turbo does is shove in more air than the engine would draw naturally.

Some more pressure = more air.

So right then let me get this straight as long as it's off a rover and it's a standard T25 it will fit and work diesel or petrol? Just wondering cause i've seen a diesel turbo unit cheaper than the petrol...

Diesel engines run cooler than petrol so the turbos do not have so be so tough. This might explain the price difference.

You can never put a diesel turbo on a petrol but it can work in reverse if all other factors are equal such as port sizes.;)

Bear in mind that Diesel exhaust flow rates are lower than petrol. This may be compensated for in the profiles of the impellers.

The Garrett T3 in my car is also used in petrol cars. The way the actuators are setup may well be different but the same housings and turbines see service in both.

What you can't do though is assume that Rover will use the same turbo on a petrol or diesel engine.

Diesel engines run cooler than petrol so the turbos do not have so be so tough. This might explain the price difference.

You can never put a diesel turbo on a petrol but it can work in reverse if all other factors are equal such as port sizes.;)

Bear in mind that Diesel exhaust flow rates are lower than petrol. This may be compensated for in the profiles of the impellers.

Ok cheers for clearing that up Waynne. Should the fins move if I try to push them with my fingers when the engine is off?

Can i be so bold as to suggest a rover based website/forum, that would be able to answer your questions very quickly?

I won't post it yet, until i get confirmation of being allowed to do so.

Cheers
Dave

Can i be so bold as to suggest a rover based website/forum, that would be able to answer your questions very quickly?

I won't post it yet, until i get confirmation of being allowed to do so.

Cheers
Dave

I am a member of a rover/mg forum an they are not very helpful if i'm honest thats why I spend most of my time on here. Plus Waynne does now a thing or 2 about rover engine's as well.

For fear of treading on toes here, i'll suggest a rover site that will be able to help.

The site is Rovertech

There is a massive amount of knowledge on there, and i'm sure they will be able to help you out with your problem.

Cheers
Dave