Turbocharging my car.

enyxblaze

Car
76 Caprice Classic
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have to say your forum is really great as everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable.
Now, I've recently purchased my beloved 1976 Caprice Classic and there is just this one thing that's eating at me: the engine (being the V8 5 liter monster it is) doesn't pack as much of a punch. Now I know the car is old but I wanna have it become the beast that it once was and more!
The current standing of the engine is at 200 bhp give or take. I would like to install a turbocharger (or a supercharger) but I dunno if the car can take it, so I decided to ask you hoping that someone with a little experience with this car can help. I would also like to know if there are any modifications that I need to install in order to get this thing fitted. Thanks in advance.

PS: my car is a hybrid with a natural gas tank installed. Will the turbocharger make it difficult for the car to operate on natural gas?

hey turbonutter, thnx for the welcome, happy to be here :D.
HDI, care to elaborate please? Is there really no way to keep my CNG system? If so then what else can I use to increase my bhp? I realy don't wanna remove the gas system from the car.

Last edited:
A 5 litre V8 should be producing 300-400bhp with some sensible tuning mods.

Is the stock power figure 200bhp or is that what it currently shows on the dyno? Is this power at the flywheel or on the road?

Polish, port and gas flow the head. Get a 3 angle valve job done and then look into fast road cams and bigger valves. Ideally the whole engine should be balanced and blueprinted to allow you to run higher rpm figures safely.

A lot can be gained by just doing up a tired old engine. Fuel injector/carb cleaner will help clear out the residue that builds up. A full service will also help the car to be running at peak efficiency.

Doing a compression test will tell you a lot about the general condition of the engine and how worn the piston rings are etc,...

Oh and welcome to TorqueCars, nice to meet you.

There are gas systems around now which can accommodate supercharged engines so we need to find out which CNG system your car has.

Historically though most CNG and LPG aftermarket systems were not compatible with supercharged engines.

I use the word supercharger to cover both the mechanically driven and exhaust driven types.

thank you all for your valuable advise.
Waynne, The engine produces said power on a dyno. I haven't taken its exact bhp from the drive shaft yet. I will try the steps you recommended though finding a suitable place where I live can be a little hard.
As for the kind of CNG system that I have installed into my car, that I cannot be sure of as I bought the car pre-owned and with the system in place. Is there any way to find that out?
Thanks again for the help ;)

Last edited:
I would have thought a gas system would work better on a FI engine that an NA

I think it has to do with the pressure. If the pressure in the intake is too great there will be insufficient push from the gas and effectively the engine will run lean.

So I guess this system is different to an LPG or propane system?

Not greatly. The operating principle is almost identical. The problem is that the gas injection pressure is that supplied by the pressurised tank in most systems. Fine with NATASP engines. But with supercharging the inlet manifold pressure is well above atmospheric and changes constantly which means that regulating the mass of LPG or CNG during the injection cycles is much harder.

There are CNG and LPG systems now that accomodate this.