turbo?

Right, firstly I am no expert on turbo charging, so please correct me if I am wrong here.

Buy I have never heard of a 'universal turbo kit'. I always thought that the engines internals were to be beefed up from standard, the cylinder blocks were also stronger and not forgetting the engine runs a different compression ratio as well as cams and ecu?

Personally I wouldn't buy a kit unless it was tailor made for an existing turbo spec'd engine and was a stage kit.

from what ive been reading there is a bit more that this kit doesnt have such as remapping the ecu headers etc that are all car specific but this seems to have all the rest of it.

You'll still need to change pistons and rods to alter the combustion chamber volume.

Be guided by the price of the kit. There is NO SUCH THING as a universal turbo kit, despite the fact that the superchargers themselves are common and used by many makers.

The engines to which they are fitted and the supporting control equipment make the installations very much engine model unique.

You cannot simply bolt on these devices.

all im going to say is look at the price of this
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-050&Category_Code=GRT

that is the turbo included in the kit you put up, notice the huge difference in price bearing in mind your kit contains, BOV, catch can, intercooler, pipework, oil lines, gaskets etc. so knock off around 3 hundred for all that, infact make it $250 so that turbo costs about $500 how do you think that is in quality to the real garrett turbo rather than, like most on ebay, probably a eastern knock off

i found a site for a freind who wanted to turbo charge his fiat cinqichento. it was gonna cost him more to convert his engine than it would to transplant a 1.1 turbo from a old uno!!! ill see if i can find it for you..

what car you want to turbo charge??

could you not look into finding out if a skoda 1.8 vrs or a 1.8 20v turbo passatt engine would fit? probs be 100% better than converting the non-turbo engine to turbo. possibly cheaper 2 :)

just looked and it would fit! i think transplant be safer m8. the vw passat 1.8 is the same engine as audi a4 and a3 1.8 t. dunno about the skoda 1.8 but can see why it wouldnt.

Last edited:
the passat and a4 engine wont fit, well it will but its more work as these engines are designed to be fitted longitudinal rather than transverse.

even easier option for you, rather than flaf about with the wiring etc for the 1.8t use the VR6 engine and strap a blower to it. easier swap - both were in the Mk3, rather than having to get the ECU changed to work in the older engine.

the octiva isnt avalible in the US as far as im aware. for the same engine youd be looking as the Mk4 Golf 20th anniversary

the passat and a4 engine wont fit, well it will but its more work as these engines are designed to be fitted longitudinal rather than transverse.

even easier option for you, rather than flaf about with the wiring etc for the 1.8t use the VR6 engine and strap a blower to it. easier swap - both were in the Mk3, rather than having to get the ECU changed to work in the older engine.

the octiva isnt avalible in the US as far as im aware. for the same engine youd be looking as the Mk4 Golf 20th anniversary
yer good point. they dont have the octavia in usa??
he is better off with a transplant than a conversion kit though right?

depends on what engine he has in there to begin with. if he has the VR6 engine then id say supercharger ten theres no point swapping it, just pull the head and fit a spacer - cheap but seems to work well on the VRs.

that turbo kit i would only recommend to someone who i wanted to lose an engine. plus it would be unusable on the road and most likey on the track as the lag would would kill it. A GT28 would be enough even if he has the VR and wants to turbo it a GT30 at the most but make sure it is a real BB garett turbo and not a cheap journal knock off