Turbo reliability

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that turbo engines are more or less reliable than the equivalently powered NASP engines?

Are they machined to greater tolerances or will the extgra stresses and strains they are put under lead to premature failure?

Turbochargers do impose extra stress on an engine, that is indisputable. But whether this results in compromised reliability is a different question.

An engine designed properly for turbocharging and used properly will not be problematical.

Yet a poorly designed NATASP engine will be problematical.

There is not a definitive answer really.

Personally I think it is more down to how it is driven and more importantly how it is looked after. The fact a turbo can be reliably pushed beyond 30% of stock power shows they are over engineered and capable of handling any stresses put on them.

Most of the problems lie in how a turbo engine is left to cool down. Serious owners fit timers to avoid any premature damage, but low spec production cars should be more hardy as they are aimed at the everyday driver.

I'm told the VAG 1.8Ts are pretty sturdy, as the man says above tho, it does depend on how they are treated.

Yep agree with that. Reyland offer this as a conversion on some MGs, one being a ZS with 310bhp conversion that was pretty quick but not under any stress at all.

Most of the problems lie in how a turbo engine is left to cool down. Serious owners fit timers to avoid any premature damage, but low spec production cars should be more hardy as they are aimed at the everyday driver.
As far as I'm aware, turbo timers are illegal to use, the modern water cooled turbos dont need the cool down time of an oil lubricated and cooled turbo.

As for reliability of the engine, mines on 220k and still runs like a watch.

Best turbo engine for reliability has to be the Saab 2.3 T with the T5 management, very strong and very reliable, and bloody bonkers.

I would have thought that a lower revving turbo engine will last longer than a higher revving engine with the same power and cubic capacity.

As far as I'm aware, turbo timers are illegal to use, the modern water cooled turbos dont need the cool down time of an oil lubricated and cooled turbo.

As for reliability of the engine, mines on 220k and still runs like a watch.

Volvo T5's will go to the moon and back about 5 times before they show signs of age.

the modern water cooled turbos dont need the cool down time of an oil lubricated and cooled turbo.

This is true. It's wise to give it at least 30 seconds or so for the blades to stop spinning at 30 gazillion R Pee emms, and I always do. Sat idling for hours will actually make everything warmer. Correct warm up is far more important with any car, even more so something FI.

In answer to the topic generally speaking turbocharged cars are no less reliable than non-turbo cars.

1/2 minute or so is fine. I used to wait 'til the oil temp gauge just started to drop and then pull the key.

For Christ's sake don't rev up as you switch off. My Dad had a dreadful habit of doing this.

My dad has a teribble habbit of not warming the engine up before he puts his foot down.
I never let him drive my car

Complete opposites then, your Dad and mine. My Dad is getting on a bit now (73) and as such he drives at whatever speed is the lowest at which he can just about engage top gear without stalling the engine. This is his idea of torque.

He used to stick my 406 in 5th at about 35 mph. Why? It was struggling along at sub 550rpm!!!

Yet in the BMW I'm using now he seems to think that 6500rpm is fine to use any and all the time when he drives it occasionally. Which it is, but not from stone cold.

Last edited: