Tuning tips: Cryogenic engine treatments

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When building a new engine you really want it to be as strong as possible. Cryogenic treatments were discovered by accident. It was noticed that metal exposed to the cold temperatures of space and high temperatures of re-entry were substantially stronger. The effect of slow cooling and slow heating up was even better than the [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

I was looking into something like this but I havent been able to fine a place that does it.

It seem like a worthwhile mod although I dare say the price will reflect that.

Sounds interesting, a quick Google search has brought nothing up about this in the UK except forum chat.

Thought Cryo treating mentioned here was done by heating an item rather than freezing it.

I would like to do this to my engine when it's stripped down and cleaned up. Do you think that cyroing the rods and pistons would be a good alternative to replacing with forged items like H beam rods and ally pistons? and steel crank?

anyone else care to add to this?

They use both extremes, cold and heat in 3 or 4 cycles over quite a long time period. This causes the metal to expand/contract and this is where the strengthening benefits come from.

Forged pistons are probably the cheaper and better option. If you are into heavy race use then cryo treatments will give you an edge and the car engine will last longer due to lower internal friction but I'm not convinced it is worth the hassel.

This maybe the case but it's still worth a look, it just so happens that the company the Nitric use (Cold Fussion) offer there services to the general public.

Forged pistons and rods aren't avaliable on my engine so it's a custom job, but the question I would want to know is though, would you have your internals balanced and lightened before or after the process? I would have thought after but I'm not sure....

Ideally an engine should be dynamically balanced whilst fully assembled. Just matching the weights of the parts used is only part of the balancing job.