Transmission oil for GTO

MTK

Car
mitsubishi 3000gt
Looking to change the gearbox oil in my 93 3000GT, any suggestions on oil type/brand?

Re: Trans Oil

What does the handbook say? I know you have to use a specific transmission oil, engine oil will just not do at all!

No engine oil would be a very bad idea!! Was just wondering if there is an oil grade or brand people would recommend other than what the handbook says. The handbook is 17 years old and oil has developed a lot since then. I'm happy enougth to use whatever the handbook says (havent read it yet) but much like the engine oil debate I just thought I'd enquire what the general feeling was.

I've copied this to the oil forum as well, there is more change oilman will see it here.

75/90 GL4 based gear oil. You can use a GL4/5 but not a plain GL5, it will invoke premature wear on the synchros. Assuming your 3000gt is the European spec[twin turbo] , your gearbox is a Getrag, made in Germany under license to Mitsubishi.
The same oils are used in the transfer box and the rear diff.
Fill both transfer and gearbox to 10mm below the fill plug level. The rear diff is to the level or 1.1 litres if you can get all that in there.
Replace all sealing washers with the correct aluminium ones and do not over tighten the drain/fill plugs, don't forget that they are steel and the threads in the aluminium boxes are also aluminium.
We have repaired so many of these due to people over tightening them it's amazing.

Cheers CB, do you have any torque settings you would recommend for the plugs?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back