Topping up the washer bottle

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How often do you top up your windscreen/windshield washer bottle?

Do you wait till it is empty, do you have a warning light or do you do regular checks?

I have a warning message pops up on the centre display when there's about 1/2 a litre left.

I usually fill the washer tank every week anyway as the fan spray jets are not as well designed as the VW ones and are very thristy in comparison. The washer tank is massive, about 10 litres!

10 ltrs bloody hell no wonder the car weighs so much. 3ltr tank but im looking or a 5.5 ltr one from the R32 for a little mod.

fill up before a long journey or when the light comes on. usually keep a ltr bottle in the boot with some washer fluid in it as the ping every time you switch on is annoying

Once a week, it's such a pain in the arse getting the bonnet off all fluids are checked & topped up where necessary in one go. :amuse:

When it runs out - and as usuall have mananged to completely smear the windscreen by not realising this fact sooner or forgetting about it,

The Passat W8 seems to have a massive water tank and the car status computer brings up "Fault 1/1 - Topup Washers" when there is still a good weeks worth left. It than continues to beep at you and flash the message up everytime you close the drivers door.

My FreeLander on the other hand, has no such cleverness. You also can't let it run out. For some reason when the water gets low, the pressure drops so much the water barely reaches the windscreen. Stupid car. You find yourself driving quicker so the wind takes the water up the screen.