Tips on Driving an automatic

billyo

Track Warrior
I know this is going to sound daft but what tips are there for driving an automatic car.

What do all the D P S R1 2 3 settings mean and when should I use which. I do have a bit of an idea but having never used one I don't want to look a numptie when I jump in my uncles auto this weekend to share the driving!

p is park
r is reverse
n is netrual
d is drive
3 is 3rd gear
2 is 2nd gear
1 is 1st gear

s is sport
the little snow flake is it has it is winter mode

unless you are racing you never use 123 just stick it in d and off you go
and once you have driven a auto you wont want to go back its so easy and lazy

3 gears doesn't sound like a lot. Do I have to start it in N or P and press the brake or something? Im sort of looking forward to it but I am a little nervous.:eek::eek:

Thanks for that HDI.

I'm keen on automatic cars, although I'm currently in a manual one having been so for over five years :)

One thing that will help you stop from reaching for the gear lever or clutch is this:- Tuck your left foot well back under the driver's seat, well away from any pedals. And keep your hands on the wheel at whatever position you prefer. Left foot tucked back will help you to avoid going for a pedal that's not there.

Even worse you might go for the clutch pedal, hit the left side of the wide brake pedal with your left foot and anchor up very very hard indeed :-(

You'll cope fine. What is the car, incidentally?

ya start in park most dont start in anything else so start in n not all

and hdi said watch your left foot you will go to change gear and you will lock it up i nearly went through the screen lol

and it will have 4 gears but it does not sound much but they are a diff ratio from manual boxes

Without discussing the later breed of automatically controlled clutchless manuals (which are superb), no auto with the PRND etc shift will start in anything apart from P or N. Many now require the brake pedal to be depressed to move the lever from P.

My Primera was automatic and frankly it was a dream to drive. It was of the traditional torque converter type (Lutonmatt will know what I'm on about) but there was full electronic ECU control over shift points, a snow mode, a sport mode (which also engaged if you pushed the accelerator pedal quickly, quite separate from kickdown), torque converter lockup in 3rd and 4th.

Also, a very sensible bit of programmed behaviour whereby if you crested a hill and lifted off the gas it spotted this and remained in the gear it was in rather than changing up, thus maintaining some engine braking without any need to touch the control lever.

The torque converter does sap a little bit of power, but, not nearly as much as it would have done in the old days when dozens of litres of ATF was being pumped around needlessly.

I think you'll return none the worse for your ordeal. You might even get a taste for the two pedal world - watch out ;)

automatics are real easy to learn, they're good to drive with because they're less distracting, yet I always drive manuals because I love them :p

An automatic car must be started and turned off in P - Park.
Basically you hold the brake, put it in D - Drive, and you're off you just use the gas and brake, when you're done and come to a stop where you will turn it off, put it back in park :)...

hope i helped, have fun

Even worse you might go for the clutch pedal, hit the left side of the wide brake pedal with your left foot and anchor up very very hard indeed :-(

Oh yes, I remember it well - catching my left foot on the honking great brake pedal and nearly standing my brand new car on end - you only tend to do it once though. The effect is heightened by the fact that your left foot is 'programmed' to expect a pedal that goes all the way to the floor, and has a bloody good try at doing so!

You'd really think that there was nothing to learn in driving an automatic, but that's the one big lesson - velcro your bloody foot to the floor or have it amputated. Back to earth yesterday driving the borough's spare Transit 'Luton' diesel. I'm pleased to report that my left leg hasn't atrophied and I still remember what a stick shift is after 6 months! Picking up a manual hire car from Madrid Airport this summer - wish me luck.

Going from auto to manual I once forgot to change down approaching a roundabout. It's surprising how little acceleration you can achieve in 5th gear at 11mph :)