Tip for getting Ultra cheap Parts

Puntopimp

Track Warrior
Car
1.8 TDCI Ford S-Max
Alrite guys

As I am now back with fury I thought I would share an excellent place to get parts from which is remarkably cheaper than UK go to www.aliexpress.com you can get stuff from china anything car related me and the father in law got a lightbar for his front bumper of the Disco on here for 80 quid. you can get really nice ICE systems and what have you.

Its basically the chinese eBay can't go wrong! Just pre-ordered this! for just over a 100 quid :p

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...-DVD-Player-Radio-In-Dash-Head/731579984.html

Last edited:
Quality is good its the same people who run ali baba except you do not need to order 100000 of one item at a time!

I think the quality is dependent on what you buy

No mate because you are buying items individually the seller can mark them as 'Gifts' at chinese customs not trade so you don't pay import tax just whatever shipping they charge

But that is only up to a maximum of £36 (£15 if not marked as a gift). If marked as a gift, valued at less than £36 that is all it will be insured for, if it is insured at all.

Goods Value

Customs Charges applicable

£0.01 to £15

• No customs duty
  • No Import VAT
£15.01 to £135

• No customs duty
  • Import VAT due
£135.01 and greater

• Customs duty due, but waived if the amount calculated due is less than £9
  • Import VAT due

Be careful, because you could get caught for taxes on a big item which would reduce any savings you make. If they mark it at full value (£120.30 including shipping - no mention of insurance) there will be no import duty as it is less than £135 but you could be charged £24.06 VAT on your purchase.

Also, be aware that some items can be delivered to your door by a UK courier who will then invoice you for their services!

Also, trying to make good any warranty will be fun!

Buying from China CAN be worth it, but do your research before committing your hard earned cash.

Last edited:
You do have returns policy yugguy I bought some rechargable batts on here they were broken so they refunded me! you can't go wrong mate.

All I know is with all the stuff I have bought on there never paid VAT or Import tax they sort the shipping for me!

thats fine but the seller simply isnt responsible for any import duties and VAT - You are as you are importing them.

At present you are avoiding paying presumably by valueing the item lower than its real value.
If it is marked as a gift then the value is not checked unless you claim for damage etc then you wont be covered for anything above the basic amount,

At any time you can be hit with charges and it is import duty and then VAT on top

If importing cars from japan the duty payable is on the cost price and the shipping cost as a total but i am not sure whether that is the case with parts.

If importing cars from japan the duty payable is on the cost price and the shipping cost as a total but i am not sure whether that is the case with parts.

Yes, total cost (item, shipping and insurance) is used to determine duty and VAT.

I have bought a few small items from China with no problems, but they have only been worth a few pounds. When you get into the hundreds C&E become interested.

You will probably get away with it but be prepared for a shock. Always assume you will have to pay and take this into account when comparing prices.

I haven't got much to lose to be fair it is like buying from Duty Free its rare you get caught but you know it's possible yet to get caught haven't on 25 different purchases to be honest.

My comments were more to make others, who may be tempted by the cheap prices, aware of the risks.

I haven't got much to lose to be fair it is like buying from Duty Free its rare you get caught but you know it's possible yet to get caught haven't on 25 different purchases to be honest.

I can see that getting caught out once in a while is fine if the prices are low enough and quality of the parts are not directly critical to anything else (like speakers)

But when their failure causes other parts to fail as well that equation doesn't hold water

True Sleeper but think of it this way. These factories are used by Tesco and Halfords and what not because its cheap manufacturing costs so if they pass the quota to be sold in stores here then I think that it should be ok to use.

You still have to be wary. The old adage, you get what you pay for, is especially valid here. You could be buying goods rejected by Halfords et al as unsatisfactory for one reason or another.

I am happy to buy small items for a few quid (and have done so successfully), but would be uneasy spending much more. I am not into ICE or other electronic gizmos so wouldn't know a good deal anyway.

As Sleeper says, if you buy a lot and get away with most of them (both tax and quality wise) then it could be worth it financially.

But I reiterate, tread carefully and expect additional costs.

True Sleeper but think of it this way. These factories are used by Tesco and Halfords and what not because its cheap manufacturing costs so if they pass the quota to be sold in stores here then I think that it should be ok to use.

but as I said that doesnt work with critical parts

Im not saying they cant make decent stuff. Of course the chinese can make top of the range stuff when they want to but often they dont and thats the point

I am into hifi and have a pair of chinese Shanling monobloc valve amps They are right at the top end of the market because they have used high end components and built them properly . They were expensive but a fair bit under the UK equivalent so I bought them.

Its when they choose to make things on price the problems start and the trouble is that is most of the time.