The old lady finally get's what she deserves!

Right then, time has come to give the oldlady some treatment,
all the talking about it it has now stopped and I'm finally doing something to her

I've bought all manner of part for her and taken photos, first thing though, how do I upload them?

Its a TD04L-13T from a scooby doo...

The most that I've seen had from one is 280bhp, but I don't think I will be able to get that much out my engine, 200 bhp would be nice, the other turbo is a Maptun one and that gave 300 hp on a 2.3 9-3 with standard injectors, I think it will be too laggy although I reckon if I use it to make a hybrid or do a twin turbo or use it in conjuction with a supercharger then it should be a bit more worth while.

Thanks for the comments by the way :) everyone....

@Aikmanson, you wouldn't happen to know where I can get a compressor map for that TD04 would you?

What do you mean by compressor map? I know a lot of people who tune Saabs running T5 engine management, but no direct tuners for that turbo itself.

I agree it would probably be a bit laggy with your engine, but on my 2.0 there is minimal lag. If you can get your hands on a TD04 from a saab 900 aero, I recommend it. It is a very durable turbo with tons of potential. Running the 16T with it will produce minimal lag, but if you like lag, I know a guy who can upgrade it to a 19T for ya :)

I will be sure to keep an eye on this build.

Hey its Lou off Pug306.net

Loving your progress so far, white cyclones are pure win imo.

Got koni springs+ dampers on mine atm, transformed the handling.

Will keep an eye on this project mate

Right then, update time!

It's been a while since I've posted and a lot has happened since then.

I decided to fit a boost gauge, and to fit my water/meths kit,

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00665.jpg

I then desided to have a tune up on my pump and maybe even turn the turbo up some more,

So I started to do said task, and in order to turn the fueling up you on a lucas pump there is a black cap near the bottom of the pump then has to be screwed off using a hammer and chisel. I did that and the contents of the pump drain out (diesel) then you see a small hole where the allen head for the max fuelling is, so you insert you 4 mm allen key in there turn clockwise by however much you want, put everything back and jobs a good 'un. But....... I used a ball ended allen key and when I put it in the hole it got stuck and it wouldn't turn, so I desided to leave it as it is and remove the allenkey, but it wouldn't budge. So with brute force I got it out....... minus the ball end!!!!!!!

Lets just say the word I used started with "S" and ended with "T", and it wasn't soot....

So I put everything together and hoped for the best, started it up and it worked....phew...or so I thought. So on a trip to see a friend it desided to start omitting the 4th cylinder and was coughing and smoking badly....

So I drove back home and I knew I was only to blame and after some calling around I got a new pump, lines and injectors for £70. I'd bought a bosch one now :)

So I got to work....
IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

It took 2 days to do said work and on the 2nd day it was cold, raining, and windy. But it had to be done....

While I was there I changed the cambelt. I got all the pulleys locked like they were supposed to be, starter motor off, engine mount off, wheel off, archliner off, covers off,
but the damn bottom pulley refused to come off, so I made a device to do so and after 2 hours it desided to move!!! Bloody thing......

So now everything is on and running sweatly....for now....

DSC00667.jpg

Bosch fitted:
DSC00668.jpg

Water meths...
DSC00669.jpg

DSC00670.jpg

DSC00671.jpg

Using plain water at the moment and the results are impressive, the top end is improved as the charge temps have come down. Now I have the bosch pump that is much easier to tune it come on boost quicker and will hit the waste gate at 22 psi.

Water meths comes in at about 14 psi.

I'm just glad it's done now.

It needs a new radiator now as it as a leak. I will be looking for an upgrade for said item and while I'm there I'm wanting to fit my bigger intercooler and pipe work, new fans and also I'm going to see about getting the TD04 fitted. :)

All that piping is confusing the hell out of my feeble brain. Is all the green piping for the water/meths injection? Where does it get injected to on a diesel?

Go and get some cheap vodka LOL

So it boosts to 22psi? Doesn't hold that on it's standard turbo shirley?

To MA:

Didn't really fancy a pillar pod cause I think it would have done my head in,

I didn't adjust the boost as I thought the amount it is set at now is adiquate, I'm happy with it so far, about the only thing that needs work is that it smokes a lot off boost which I thought the boost controller (in the picture) could potencially solve. But I have other plan instore but I'm not going to reveal them just yet.

I does have an noticeable increase in performance than before.

I think really suspension on brakes are the next thing to do on the list.

I deleted that post because half of it was written and posted at the same time you posted the second post, so I hadn't seen it! I'm currently slightly bored, hiding inside because I know as soon as I go out to fiddle with/clean either of the cars the heavens will open!

See my new post about injecting cheap vodka haha.

Yeah I thought about it actually, where can you get cheap vodka from? There's tonnes of supermarkets around here where best to look?
I got ASDA, Tesco, Lidl, Netto, Sainsburys, Co-op/Sommerfield....

And in answer to your question about injecting it on a diesel, it's the same as petrol, anywhere on the intake, you can't inject diesel or nitromethane in the intake though.
Have a look at the close up photo for the injection pump you'll see the injection nozzle and non return valve poking out of the intercooler with the green pipeing.

Not all the green piping is for water meths, one is for the boost sencing for the switch and the boost gauge. Also I ran out of black and I can get the green stuff for nothing, my dad gets it from work. Personally I'm not bothered about the colour of it, as long as it does the job.

Also the standard turbo can be wound up a bit more and it sustains it's boost all the wany to 5k rpms (redline for me :) )

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Better than slippers :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah all the supermarkets will have cheap Vodka, not sure how cheap it is these days I never buy alcohol any more except for the odd bottle of wine! Worth a try though, you should get a temp sensor fitted to the inlet to monitor temps and see what works best! Fairly simple affair...

Oh yes I can see them now you've told me where to look! Good stuff!

DevilsOwn is who I bought the kit from, it is rather good, and well priced.

As for the meths, would B&Q sell it? I don't think my local hardware store would have it (I think I'm there only customer lol) I do have a model car shop down the road from me as well but I'm not sure if they sell pure meth.

B&Q should sell it
if the hardware store sells the likes of paint may sell meths. i know my local one does and he is cheaper then the bigger places.
you could always ask how much s/he could get it for as they might order some in for you

@ Jarrus, I just got rid of a TD04 18T Hybrid and upgraded to a GT30RS Hybrid! Shall I see if the garage still has it?

good progress mate!!!!!!!
as for meths try here;)
theres 1 in great bridge tipton and sutton coldfield which evers closest to you

Just had a look and seem rather expensive but if it does the job then I might just give it a go to find out.

Also would you think that ScrewFix would do the same kind of stuff because they are like 1/2 mile away from me.

Firstly, sorry for being off here for so long, I've had a lot on my plate lately and I've had to put the forum on the back burner for a while, but all is well again (hopefully) and you'll see more of me as usual :)

What I have I been doing then?

Well, when I went to pick my mate up from the gym my car decided to gurd it's loins...

In the form of coolant, I mean it has had a slow leak for awhile and I put some antifreeze/water in it every month or so. But this time is was p*****g out big time, so I put what antifreeze I had in it and drove back home and my mate followed me.

This is why:

DSC00681.jpg

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00683.jpg

Not good.......

So I rang around the local scrappers and got myself a really good deal 50 notes
for a pretty much brand new genuine Peugeot rad!!

DSC00690.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

I forgot to take some pictures of it out of the car, as you can see, it's brand new!!

Pleased about that, and eventually I will take my old rad up to radtech in cannock so they can make me a better one...

I've also been having a tweak here an there on the pump and I thought I would take some photos of the process...

Firstly a nice easy one, throttle limiter....
DSC00674-1.jpg

It's not the governer as that is inside the pump and I'm yet to tweak it, I'll be doing it to my other Bosch pump. It's the threaded stud on the front of the pump just by the throttle arm, it has a lock nut on it slacken it off and screw it out as far as possible, it will become redundant :)

Now onto the LDA:
DSC00677.jpg

This is a device which controlls the on boost fuelling and can also affect the off boost fuelling also, but it's not to be confused with the max fuel screw, I'll explain about that later. As you can see here I've removed the 4 screws around the top of it and the boost pipe ready to remove the top.

Then you'll see this:
DSC00676.jpg

That diafram moves down gradually as boost pressure rises, if you rotate it slightly and pull it upwards it should come out fairly easliy,

DSC00680.jpg

That's what's left, remove the spring and put it somewhere safe as it will have to back where it came from...
DSC00678.jpg

the underside of the diafram, and you get the LDA pin, the more boost pressure on the diafram the more the pin moves down, you will also notice that the pin has been "shaped" into an angle or sorts, this is what increases the fuel enrichment when the turbochargers boost pressure increases, a little pin in the hole it came out of sit on the side of it and the more the pin moves out the more fuel is added. Make a note of how it came out and make sure the thinnest part of the ramp is against the pin in the hole to allow more enrichment fuel, which also means that less smoke off boost when setup correctly...
Also I should mention here that the white(ish) coloured collar at the top of the pin needs to be removed to allow more travel on the pin, it should just slide off the end...

DSC00679.jpg

Like so....

Back to the pump,

DSC00675.jpg

In there is a starwheel you will see which can be moved up and down by rotating it clock wise for less boost, and anti clockwise for more boost (before the enrichment starts)

As a rule of thumb it's best to up the max fuel as much as possible and reduce the LDA as much as possible to make good power and reduce smoke, the only way to do this properly is to trail and error.

I'll explain about max fuelling at a later date as I need to compile some more information before I can give a definative answer. But this mod can yeild good gains on it's own if followed properly, just remember than without max fuelling mods then you won't the fuel to come sooner rather than later as later will lean out your car and make less power.

Well that's some replacement for only 50 notes! well done on the find ;)

Yeah I was rather chuffed myself, better than a patent part and a hell of a lot cheaper. I did want a better one but didn't have the cash so it was an emergancy purchase to tide my over

Right then....

The REAL work begins....

First the rear suspension, and brakes..... it all need to come off....everything....
IMG_0207.jpg

I took all the crap out of the boot, if you look at the previous pictures you'll see what was there before... those black caps in the boot floor are covering the bolts that hold the rear beam on... all 6 of them.

IMG_0208.jpg

Also the spare wheel and carrier,
IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

Also my exhaust.

IMG_0211.jpg

Centre console off so I can pull the handbrake cables out,

Also the brake lines underneath were undone also, they were siezed a bit but they didn't snap, a big relief....

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

Old beam out.....

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

and new one in with the addition of the rear Koni shocks.

The discs do look like they have seen better days but I will replace them and the pads later on.

Things to do...

The front suspension, brakes and steering rack, and bleed the brakes and if I have time I'm going to take the injector pump out and shim the govenor so it doesn't pull fuel after 4k rpm.

Also sorry about the crap quality photos my camera is playing up at the moment...