The colour gunmetal

need to refurb a set of calipers and wanted to do them, was going to do them matt black to keep them stealthy but decided i would try and do them something subtle that wasn't the normal red, blue, yellow etc

Think I've found something to fit the bill...

Stovebrite Hi-Temp Aerosols

Stove Bright® high temperature coatings have been developed to provide the highest quality coating for use in applications that require heat resistance up to 1200°F (650°C). With continued research and development, these coating formulations continue to exceed industry demands for improvements in rust protection, chemical resistance, low smoke and other performance characteristics.

Over 30 Colors in an easy to apply quick drying system.

PRODUCT NO. COLOR - DESCRIPTION
1990 Satin Black - High Temperature Paint
6304 Flat Black - High Temperature Paint
6309 Metalic Black - High Temperature Paint
6201 Charcoal - High Temperature Paint
6311 Honey Glo Brown - High Temperature Paint
6230 Golden Fire Brown - High Temperature Paint
6159 Metalic Brown - High Temperature Paint
6283 Almond - High Temperature Paint
6196 Metalic Blue - High Temperature Paint
6321 Pewter - High Temperature Paint
6298 Rich Brown Metalic - High Temperature Paint
6319 Mojave Red - High Temperature Paint
6198 Forest Green - High Temperature Paint
6306 Primer - High Temp
6197 Moss Green Metalic - High Temperature Paint
6193 Metalic Gray - High Temperature Paint
6265 Aluminum - High Temperature Paint
6320 Copper - High Temperature Paint
6307 Sand - High Temperature Paint
6194 Sky Blue - High Temperature Paint
6324 Sunset - High Temperature Paint
6325 Surf Sand - High Temperature Paint
6195 Mohagany Metalic - High Temperature Paint
6310 Bark Brown - High Temperature Paint
6146 Leather Brown - High Temperature Paint
6327 Green Illusion - High Temperature Paint
6329 Shimmering Rose - High Temperature Paint
6302 Metalic Gold - High Temperature Paint
6313 Mauve - High Temperature Paint
6192 Russet - High Temperature Paint
6199 Redwood - High Temperature Paint
6223 Emerald Green Metalic - High Temperature Paint
6318 Patriot Blue - High Temperature Paint
6224 Adobe Tan - High Temperature Paint
Clear - Medium Temperature Paint
Applications:

• Wood Stoves Fireplaces (wood, gas & pellet)
• Venting systems (stove pipe and gas stove pipes)
• BBQ’s
• Mufflers & Silencers
• Boilers & Steam Pipes

http://forrestpaint.com/index.php?page=hi-temp-paints

Mettalic grey's not too far off from Gunmetal! ;)

You could always mist the grey with black to darken it down and create a gunmetal look. Hammerite used to do a very nice dark grey but not sure if they still do this.

Think I've found something to fit the bill...

Mettalic grey's not too far off from Gunmetal! ;)
cheers for digging that up Loz
content.gif

You could always mist the grey with black to darken it down and create a gunmetal look. Hammerite used to do a very nice dark grey but not sure if they still do this.

thats what i was thinking of, silver / aluminum with a little black until i was happy

hammertite do a grey hammered effect paint which looks really nice on calipers :)

mm that could be an option - B&Q monday me thinks

think i will look into the hammerite 1st then ether the mix my own / Loz's paints

had a look in halfords to see what they had yesterday but their hammerite range was
smooth black, hammered black, red, white and blue. it really is a crappy store

homebase was the only place that showed for shopping under google - once you filtered the all the model making shops with 10ml pots - but they only allow you to reserve it, and guess what both local store are out of stock, b&q doesnt have it ether.

thinking it might jut be easier getting a tin of black and silver and trying to mix some up.

ok
old paint was rubbed down to get rid of the lacquer and logos on the calipers.
washed and dried
paint finally arrived yesterday so got the 1st coat on last evening.
went to bed around 1 this morning quickly checked on them and the were still tacky. got up this morning and had to shoot of to edinburgh and didnt get back until half 3 4ish, and guess what, still tacky mmmm

thought id give them a quick blast in the oven at around 80 degrees for 15 mins nope still not went off.
so thinking ive got some dodgy paint but just to check stripped the grey off washed and dried again. hunted out some hammered black and gave them a quick coat 2 hours ago.
basically touch dry now

looks better than i thought, will need a second coat and possibly a third so i can smooth out the brush strokes

ok
old paint was rubbed down to get rid of the lacquer and logos on the calipers.
washed and dried
paint finally arrived yesterday so got the 1st coat on last evening.
went to bed around 1 this morning quickly checked on them and the were still tacky. got up this morning and had to shoot of to edinburgh and didnt get back until half 3 4ish, and guess what, still tacky mmmm

thought id give them a quick blast in the oven at around 80 degrees for 15 mins nope still not went off.
so thinking ive got some dodgy paint but just to check stripped the grey off washed and dried again. hunted out some hammered black and gave them a quick coat 2 hours ago.
basically touch dry now

looks better than i thought, will need a second coat and possibly a third so i can smooth out the brush strokes

a little tip with hammerite do what the instructions say! apply the second coat within 12/24 hrs? cant remember which. otherwise the 2nd coat wont adhere;) i have seen this where the 2nd coat will literally peel right off hope this helps:bigsmile:

can says touch dry in 1-2 hours. re-paintable in 4-8 hours.
1st coat of the grey must have been on for around 19hours and still tacky so wasnt want to put more paint on top.

goes to put on second coat now if theyre dry

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back