Car
Mitsubishi GTO
Hi all, just bought myself a Mitsubishi GTO
1991. I want to tune it upto around 450bhp if
Poss without rebuilding the engine!
New full stainless exhaust & induction kit on
What should I do next?
Any help appreciated

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

Hey Leebo, welcome to T.C matey good to have you, like your choice, get the posts up to ten so you can share some phodies with us.

Hi there, I hope you are well. May I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do. (It gets quite addictive at times.)

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"! (It's also great when people start new threads and discussions and all adds to the great debate.)

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

looking to increase the bhp of the gto... try a remap of the ecu.

looking for greater bhp depends on how much you have too spend.

my old man has a supra twin turbo and he gain 150+ just with a good air flow system [induction kit] and cat back exhaust system with a remap...thats if you go to a good garage.

further power was gained by changing the inlet rota on the turbo, also de-cat. mot could be a problem after...

im sure the same would apply to the gto. i have a gto my self and these are the steps i will be making ...

my old man has a supra twin turbo and he gain 150+ just with a good air flow system [induction kit] and cat back exhaust system with a remap...thats if you go to a good garage. /QUOTE]

Standard engine - 320bhp I believe
Induction kit -10bhp (if lucky)
Exhaust - 10bhp
Total 340bhp

Remaps give around 25% improvement on a petrol turbo engine = 85bhp

Getting over 150bhp is impressive, around 43% increase which is in diesel turbo territory.. Are you sure that is all your dad did to the car to get this much of an improvement?

Or is my standard engine power wrong?

my old man has a supra twin turbo and he gain 150+ just with a good air flow system [induction kit] and cat back exhaust system with a remap...thats if you go to a good garage. /QUOTE]

Standard engine - 320bhp I believe
Induction kit -10bhp (if lucky)
Exhaust - 10bhp
Total 340bhp

Remaps give around 25% improvement on a petrol turbo engine = 85bhp

Getting over 150bhp is impressive, around 43% increase which is in diesel turbo territory.. Are you sure that is all your dad did to the car to get this much of an improvement?

Or is my standard engine power wrong?

Steve When I read the post and was skeptical about the increased HP claim so unless there was a lot more done I remain so .
IS it dyno or seat of the pants power??????????

Last edited:
looking to increase the bhp of the gto... try a remap of the ecu.

looking for greater bhp depends on how much you have too spend.

my old man has a supra twin turbo and he gain 150+ just with a good air flow system [induction kit] and cat back exhaust system with a remap...thats if you go to a good garage.

further power was gained by changing the inlet rota on the turbo, also de-cat. mot could be a problem after...

im sure the same would apply to the gto. i have a gto my self and these are the steps i will be making ...

I'm sorry but those figures can't be right tbh I would probably have queried 100 .
For 150 and those mods you would need to take it to a magician not a good garage .
1jz supras are very easy to tune and can run silly power but you need a lot more than that to get an extra 150. Maybe you forgotten some mods or more likely that included the turbo work.
On that very point - you said changed the inlet rota of 'the' turbo ?
Do you mean he changed one turbo and left the other standard ?

Supra engines are very easy to tune

Last edited:
Greetings mikeg19gto and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

That does seem like quite a bit of power for the parts specified and used.
Once you have reached 10 posts I would love to see some photos, I have a soft spot for the GTO.

Wglcome to the club. Sorry I'm a bit late to the party but maybe I can help having owned one of my GTOs for 10 years. Btw, it is currently the most powerful, quickest and fastest in Europe.

As you have a 91 TT it is most likely sporting the 2 bolt main block which has the cast crank as opposed to what is dubbed as the forged Gen 2 crank. You can tell as the earlier engines have a CAS on the timing belt side. The only reason you may have the 4 bolt main is if someone has previously swapped the engine.

The bad news is only minor in that 450 BHP is probably your real max to safely tune.

The good news is that 450 BHP is a fairly well trodden path. Depending how much your budget is will determine which path to follow. Personally, your best and safest route is to go stand alone ecu (about 1500 fitted and mapped for a VIPEC), if not you can go with piggy backs but whilst this works, you are always trying to fool the ecu into thinking it is doing something different than it really is, so you always have to compensate here and there. For piggy backs you will need to be able to control boost, fuel and timing. Stay away from manual boost controllers.

Probably the best turbos to get you to 450 BHP will be either 13Ts or 15Gs. The former come as a kit as they require slight modification of certain bits to fit (very minor though), the latter simply bolt on but will be a little dearer. 13Ts I believe are around £800 a pair.

Fuelling: any of the following pumps. Walbro hot wired, Walbro 400 or 450, Supra turbo pump. Injectors either RC550 or a set of 450s from USA for a DSM.

Fuel lines should be fine but change the stock loop that joins the 2 fuel rails for a higher flowing one.

Plugs, go 1 range colder.

You can achieve 450 BHP with the stock MAF so should be ok

Depending on the condition of your side mount inter coolers you might be ok. Options are bigger side mounts or a front mount inter cooler.

Stock rad and fans will be fine.

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

I recommend at some point changing the output shaft in the gearbox for either a Quadco or 300M.

Stock HT leads are good to well over 600 BHP

Sorry for the unstructured reply, it was just a quick brain dump.

André

Ps Curd, I didn't know you were on here!

I'm sorry but those figures can't be right tbh I would probably have queried 100 .
For 150 and those mods you would need to take it to a magician not a good garage .
1jz supras are very easy to tune and can run silly power but you need a lot more than that to get an extra 150. Maybe you forgotten some mods or more likely that included the turbo work.
On that very point - you said changed the inlet rota of 'the' turbo ?
Do you mean he changed one turbo and left the other standard ?

Supra engines are very easy to tune

ok so i checked with the old man about the claimed bhp on the supra and yes there were other mod's. the inlet compressor wheel was changed to increase forced induction.

my bad

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back