swappable engine maps?

creature

Torque Junkie
Car
mg zs 1.8
I have an Audi 1.8t 2001(150bhp) I`m looking at remapping it now i use it for my everyday driving car as well so obviously economy is an issue, yet i want to be able to continue using it on the track.

My question is, is it possible to have an ecu swap between maps eg from a controller or switch placed within the car? I have searched on Google and could only come up with the "v-switch" however I don`t like the idea off completely reprogramming the ecu each time, surely that could lead to errors being produced? Is there a ECU that can store two separate maps?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Thanks,
Creature

Have a chat with the guys at http://www.jfautomotive.co.uk/ and see what they say. The reflashing is completely safe as it has error correction built in and lots of failsafes.

There was a remap that was switchable via the cruise control stalk but I can't remember who did this, it basically meant the stock ECU had 2 maps saved.

TBH I'd not bother with a switchable. With a turboed car, a remap will, when you are cruising, give you more mpg. Once you've got over the first few weeks of the fun of driving quicker just because you can you should find your mpg increases with a remap.

If you are worried about economy and want to do what Yugguy suggested get the <3000 rpm set for economy and >3000 rpm for peak power, that way you'll get the best of both worlds and on the track the car will generally stay above 3000 rpm.

Hi creature,

V-Switch is great for having 3 map files stored and changing them as you like. The other option is just to have a performance remap, and as Yugguy said, it will have good economy still and good performance when you need it. Under 3000rpm is off boost anyway.

Thank you for the responses, I think ill get in touch with you very soon. I think Yuggy may have given me the best approach. What sort of MPG do you think i could expect after a remap, i know its vague because obviously condition of engine, age of car and everything not mentioned above can affect it, but would i see a worthwhile increase over standard tune? Unfortunately the majority of tuning company just cite these large torque and BHP increases and leave all of practicality to the imagination

Thank you for the responses, I think ill get in touch with you very soon. I think Yuggy may have given me the best approach. What sort of MPG do you think i could expect after a remap, i know its vague because obviously condition of engine, age of car and everything not mentioned above can affect it, but would i see a worthwhile increase over standard tune? Unfortunately the majority of tuning company just cite these large torque and BHP increases and leave all of practicality to the imagination

We offer a Performace Remap or Economy Remap,

Economy Remap is only for a Diesel engine, but having said that the performance remap can still get you better fuel economy, we just dont sell it as economy. Some customer on a performance remap see 1-2 better MPG on a petrol car, but all is down to the driver, and roads driven on.