stupid newby question.

Hello and welcome.

What you've asked is not a stuipd question in the slightest.

Here's my opinion in response to your question:- "They don't necessarily [Help performance] unless the factory ones are seriously degraded with age or are of seriously cheapskate manufacture.

Last edited:
so in most tuner cars then its basically cosmetic

Quite possibly, yes. They are usually a pretty color as well, which helps no end. Except with performance, that is.

Have you tried aftermarket leads or are you enquiring with a view to making a purchase?

Incidentally, and I've edited my previous post to cover this as well, welcome to Torque Cars, and your question is not a stupid one at all.

Rgds,

P.

well im looking at getting a 91 sentra this week probably and have been checking into the things i could do to it performance wise. my problem is im not very mechanical and the cars problem is its the auto 1.6 and not the SE-R version. in regards to the leads ive honest never heard of um or what they do or anything

well im looking at getting a 91 sentra this week probably and have been checking into the things i could do to it performance wise. my problem is im not very mechanical and the cars problem is its the auto 1.6 and not the SE-R version. in regards to the leads ive honest never heard of um or what they do or anything

If I'm right a Sentra is a Nissan and the one you're looking at uses the GA16DE gas engine. This is a very flexible and reliable motor. Power output is around 110-115bhp, although it might be slightly different where you are compared to the European models.

Tuning wise there is not a vast you can do with them, as 110bhp was pretty lively for a 1.6 litre engine back in the early 1990s.

What is worthwhile though is to get it thoroughly looked over and replace any bits that are failing or not working optimally. By which I mean leads, plugs, distributor cap and rotor (these are still there on the GA16 - modern engines have dispensed with both).

In North America this is commonly known as a 'tune-up'. It isn't really, though. It's more a case of putting things back as they should be and as they were originally. Of course, oil and filter changes are crucial. I'm not sure you need to do the American 3000 miles thing any longer. Modern oils should happily go 10,000 without problems unless you drive in very very harsh conditions. There's nothing much else to tune with these engines - timing is all under ECU managment. You could get the ECu re-coded to lift low rev flatspots perhaps.

I also seem to recall that the GA16 uses a duplex chain to drive the camshafts so no belt to worry about. But do check this.

Also, check the auto transmission oil for level, condition and color. Many Nissans are 'sealed for life'. I'd be inclined to get a shop to replace the oil if it appears discolored (should be red) or degraded.

i was planning on gettin it all checked and stuff. i have been looking at different things for performance like a short ram intake, headers, high flo cat, mufflers, etc. is any of that really worth it.

i was planning on gettin it all checked and stuff. i have been looking at different things for performance like a short ram intake, headers, high flo cat, mufflers, etc. is any of that really worth it.

If you do the whole lot then yes, you will gain probably 10-15bhp. A ECU re-code or remap (which may be done in the form of a chip tune) will maximise the returns on the other mods so do it last.

The downside with petrol engines is that performance is usually at the expense of fuel economy. Turbo-Diesels are a different world in this repsect.

It's only a decision you can make. You know what your fuel budget is.

will that extra 10-15 do much for speed? and the recode is that just something ill need to buy and plug and plug into the car or something?

What do you mean by speed? Full bore top end or midrange shove?

You will not gain much in terms of flat out top speed. You will get a better drive throughout the usable rev range of the engine.

You need to tell the forum what it is you are really trying to achieve.

You will get better acceleration but most of the improvement will be towards the top end of the rev range.

I do believe that there was once a GA16DE+T engine which is turbocharged but it's not an official Nissan engine.

Turbo conversions are not for the faint hearted. They are also extremely expensive.