starting problems

lee1210

Wrench Pro
Car
astra gte 2l 8v
hi there i have a astra mk2 gte 8v just finished putting engine back together after rebuild but cant get it to start have checked every thing is where its ment to go car turns over but not getting any spark from coil but getting voltage any ideas what it could be have tried 3 different coils butr still no spark

will check crankshaft sensor as was getting fault code up for that but did change it to another one I had but didn't check it

Does it crank enthusiastically or does it sound 'weary'?

It might just be that with only 10v at the coil under starting conditions there's not enough to create a decent spark on the HT side.

If you have an oscilloscope then stick a probe on the low voltage side of the coil and see what's happening. It might be the amplifier (gate) between the sensor and the coil itself which is faulty.

where would I find the amplifier to check it if you can or would I have to get new part crankcase sensor is spotless and no breaks in the cable is there a way of testing it to see if it works other than visual check as looks as good as new

have chased the cable back from the coil one is just a switched live the other goes back to terminal 1 on the ecu could it be an ecu fault?

It could be but if the ECU is showing a fault code then that's fairly unlikely. Vauxhall, for years, has stuck with the trial&error style diagnostics whilst most other makers have included their own model specific OBDII codes to assist diagnosis of faults.

Get a meter on all the cables and check that they are electrically sound.

all the cables have been tested that's how found out it want back to ecu the other cable just picks up a switched live the ecu picked up fault code for crankcase sensor but not since I have changed that over but still not getting a spark from coil

Hi I have an audi a3 1.8t the dash lights come on but the starter motor does no kick in there is no clicking coming from the starter motor but there is 2 relay that click