So on the Road Thursday

Puntopimp

Track Warrior
Car
1.8 TDCI Ford S-Max
So I am on the road thursday night to Carlisle, from Dover I have now in mind 3 route's But I want to hear peoples views on the routes after a bloke i know who runs a chippy told me one of them is his favourite.
btw in the route I have to use the A2 on the way to pick my nan up
My First Option
A2 - M2 - Dartford Tunnel - M11 - M25 - M1 - M6

This one sounds like a good Idea to me but been told road works are an issue

Second Option
A2 - M2 - Detling - M20 - M25 - M40 - M6
This one is apparently good because it is a quieter route than above

Last Option
A2 - M2 - Dartford - M11 - A1 - Scotch Corner -A66 - M6

This is supposed to be the shortest route but longest route (In Duration)

What do you think Bare in mind I leave at 10pm

Last edited:
Wish I could help mate, but I really don't know. I'd just stick to the motorways where I could. I don't even know where the A2 is. London I presume.

Scanning the route quickly i think i'd go for first option.

Sure is a long drive, take care on the road especially so late.

I couldn't say for sure either but as I said to BBJ last week, there's lane closures & junc closures going on, on the M6 at night around my way so you'd best check the Highways agency website for planned closures.

The First option is my preferred option. Theaa.com route planner takes into account roadworks and delays so see what route that suggests nearer the time.

At that time of night roadworks are unlikely to cause too much delay as traffic is much lighter.

Apologies for repeating myself. I travel on the M6 every night from Wolverhampton to Birmingham for work & I can confirm there are regular lane closures & sometimes full motorway closures around here & they can cause huge tailbacks. Sometimes I've been caught out & it's taken me over an hour to do 4 junc's. :lol:
Crews usually start putting cones out about 21:30/ 22:00 & that's when the biggest snarl ups start. If you have any doubt take the toll road it'll be worth it on a long journey.

Is this your first big jaunt in the Punto PP?

Last edited:
thats what I thought Yugguy. thats what made me consider the M40 I have been up the M1 many times and every single time the road got closed because of nasty accidents (Last time was when the scrap yard caught fire) so a little put off from the M1

I would do M40, M42, M6 toll. You might get some traffic round the M6J15 but once past Manchester J20 it should quieten out. Then past Preston to Carlisle it should be very quiet.