Snow stuck cars towed away

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
People who abandoned their cars at the side of the road during heavy snow in Kent returned this morning to find that their cars have been towed away by Police approved contractors.

The fee is £150 and £20 per day. Many people can't get into the areas the cars are stored so are racking up storage charges.

Do you think this is unreasonable or do you feel these motorists are just winging? Are the recovery agents profiteering?

I will add to this that owners of the cars have not been notified that their cars have been towed away. It is only when it reported stolen that people are told. I feel that this is unfair, theoretically a motorist who return to his car after a week will have another £140 of storage charges to pay.

The storage charges are not acceptable but they should paying the towing away fee. They have chosen to take an indequate vehicle out in the snow and should have a used a bit of thought. We are only using the 4wd scooby in the snow, the truck and the carisma are staying at home until the weather improves.

Has anyone on the site had their car towed due to this?

If the cars were posing a hazard to other road users then they should indeed be towed.

I agree that the storage charge should be reduced - it's not always the fault of the vehicle owner.

many people didnt have a choice, and many were caught out by the rather rapidly deteriorating conditions.

i got home at 4pm, and it wasnt snowing here then, by 5pm cars were having to be abandoned around my area due to the snow falling so rapidly.

The councils took too long in mobilising the gritters, and the police around here were useless. people having their cars towed imo is out of order. it was a damn sight more responsible to abandon their cars than to keep driving and cause accidents.

However,

anyone that went out knowingly once the snow had already done its thing, and wasnt adequately prepared, is an idiot.

i have been out, but only in my tranist as 3tonnes of van helps with grip ( i also lived in germany for 3years so have plenty of experience with driving in these consitions).

my saab and the mrs megane have stayed put, as they simply arent suitable for the conditions.

I think the police should have just left the cars on the hard shoulder, verge or towed to the nearest layby or service area, why should people pay for their cars being towed away when its down to the goverment to keep the roads clear, which they failed to do...this is why we pay road tax ???, I suppose if the people had stayed in their cars and froze to death that would have been fine??

i think they should of been towed some round be me have been and they have all been dumped in the wrong places

i know they could not get anywere cos they are stuck ect but most of the time you can go back to park on the green or off the road

people were parking 2 a breast on the roads round here making the ones that can drive past drive on the wrong side of the road making it dangers for us

and if they picked there motor up teh next day they would not of been towed its cos they have left them there for a few days still loads out there now but they are on the path or green or anywere off the road

People who abandoned their cars at the side of the road during heavy snow in Kent returned this morning to find that their cars have been towed away by Police approved contractors.

The fee is £150 and £20 per day. Many people can't get into the areas the cars are stored so are racking up storage charges.

That kind of thing seems to be all the police are good for these days. Theft.

The storage charges are not acceptable but they should paying the towing away fee. They have chosen to take an indequate vehicle out in the snow and should have a used a bit of thought. We are only using the 4wd scooby in the snow, the truck and the carisma are staying at home until the weather improves.

Has anyone on the site had their car towed due to this?

I had to leave mine on the side for a few days. It never got towed due to the fact that the vin number was covered & I took the number plates with me.

Last edited:
I agree with Lutonmatt and Pikey Motorsports

If the vehicle was abandoned in a dangerous place or in the way of other road users then the police have every right to tow it away and not tell anybody, if it was put off the road and left in a sensible place then they wouldn't have a need to touch it

I'd like to know what guidelines they are working to as last January my brother-in-law abandoned his 3 series BMW as he was struggling in the snow that fell very quickly. This was on the A3 southbound towards Horndean for those that know of it. He actually had presence of mind to get it as far as the nearest layby and left it parked up. However on returning 2 days later it wasn't there. It was located several miles away in a Police impound. The Police actually decided it was better for his car that it be moved incase other vehicles slid into it! He was not charged for this but it makes you wonder who does get charged and how it is justified? Last January I had to pick my way through dozens of abandoned cars and vans strewn all over the road, some were badly left but in all honesty they had no choice. I passed many 4x4s that were ill equipped for such weather.

If it is on an 'A' road I cannot see how they can charge anyone if recovery was not requested. Now if that were a Motorway then it's a different story, but if stuck due to jack-knifed lorries and then getting snowed in, then it's not their fault and so should not be charged if the Motorway has been officially closed.

A grey area and one to pick through.

have been so near to hitting so many cars this week all dumped in very silly places
if i did not care so much i would of hit them wont damage the landrover

was one at the end of my road park on the hill and a transit parked the other side of the road could just about get past any way next day it snowed someone must of tryed getting up the hill and smashed stright into his car thought that would teach him
no he did it again and the same happened to that one lol