Sawtooth tyres

Aerial Andy944

The Torque Meister
Car
VW Golf GT TDi 200
I had a load rumbling noise from my Golf and thought a wheel bearing had gone. I took it to my mechanic friend and I had to change my tyres as the rear tyres had formed a sawtooth effect. Never heard of this before but the transformation is outstanding. The front wheel alignment was also 4 degrees out!

I had a mate who bought cheap tyres from Ebay and when they were fitted to the car it made a wierd noise. He took them off an sold them again. I bet they are the most sold tyres in the world.

It's handy having a mate who wont rip you off when silly things like this happen to your car @Aerial Andy944

I had Uniroyal Rainsport II on the front of the 5 series E39 and these made a dreadful racket as they wore down. Despite the fact that the car had been four wheel aligned on a Hunter Laser rig.

I thought the wheel bearings were failing.

Tyres replaced (with Michelin Primacy HP) and the noise went away.

Seems some cars are very sensitive to tyres.

On my 3rd brand of tyres now. Pirelli PZero wore out in 6k miles. Falken FK452 have lasted longer but now have sawtooth problem. Changed to Dunlop Sport Maxx now so see how these go. Been good comments on VW forums as mk5 platform has a problem with it tyre wear apparently

In all my years of driving I have never heard that expression before :oops:

You learn something new everyday here on TC :)

In the end I sought out the * marked Primacy HP tyres. The star denotes that it's BMW approved and they wear rate was low and very even across the whole tread pattern. Very grippy too, both wet & dry.