Saving money with better MPG car

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
How much money would I save going from my 35mpg car to a 47 mpg car based on an annual mileage of 11,000 miles?

Is there any way of working this out easily? I have a feeling the cost of buying a different car will more than outway any fuel savings that can be had and I'm not sure I really want a slower eco car but I'm finding fuel crippling me.

Also will the cost differnce in Diesel and Petrol suck up any overall saving?

At around £1500 or thereabouts it's probably not going to happen, maybe if i'd just bought the car but I can't see me owning the car for more than a few years. If someone can justify the cost of a conversion then it's something I'd be daft not to consider.

Just found this whilst doing a search.
http://www.torquecars.com/tools/annual-fuel-cost-from-mpg.php

According to that the petrol at 35mpg is £1914.55 per year and the diesel at 47 mpg is £1510.85 per year, so I'd only save about £400 a year and the diesel is a lot slower - I'm finding it hard to justify this!

If I convert to LPG the MPG will drop a little to 31mpg (apparently) so with this in mind I'm looking at £1193.72 per year - a saving of about £800 so this actually could be the answer!

What are the drawbacks of doing an LPG conversion? Does it make the car much slower?

not sure about performance. put if you're looking for decent performance to balance MPG then you'd probably going with a performance diesel

You can get a conversion much cheaper, I purchased the kit off ebay £400 and paid an installer to do it on the side £250 (short days work for him) Alternately you couls buy a cheap converted car (there are loads) and do the bulk of the conversion yourself. Of course pay a pro to check , finalise and tune your handywork before you turn it on.
The trouble is i would imagine there is not much room in your engine bay for the bits? Is there space for a decent sized tank?