Sat nav or mobile phone

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I have to admit I'm not using my TOMTOM sat nav anymore, my phone does a much better job, gives more information and I get free updates to the maps!

Which do you prefer? Is there any reason to still be using a dedicated sat nav system when mobile phones have come so far now?

If you are a phone nav user do you have a special app or just use the bundled navigation software you get as standard?

I use my phone with google maps.
I just place the phone in a cup holder where I can,t be distracted and let it talk to me.
So far this has worked very well.

I have had to use my phone on occasion when the DVD based one in the car fails me. It's a 2009 disc and apparently that's the latest one from SAAB. In time I will get around to researching the actual manufacturers to see if something newer is available.
The disc does not do post code searches which is a thundering nuisance.

I have had a TomTom 520 for several years and kept it as back up as it has never failed me. I also have the Navfree app on my phone in case it is needed. I did download the USA version but it failed to work last year! Not great when outside Miami airport! The Disco has it built in but is a pita to use.

I use the satnav for long distance and unfamiliar area's
And I use my phone to find the closest cafe to where I'm working

I have had a TomTom 520 for several years and kept it as back up as it has never failed me. I also have the Navfree app on my phone in case it is needed. I did download the USA version but it failed to work last year! Not great when outside Miami airport! The Disco has it built in but is a pita to use.
I've never found a decent build in Satnav system yet. Voice control also leaves much to be desired! Instead of plotting a route home, it played radio 1! Not impressed.

Trust me on this, I tried out the voice controlled Sat Nav in the new Rolls Royce Wraith at the Goodwood Festival of Speed the year before last - I want one <B

I stick with the ageing Garmin 2445. I never bothered with lifetime updates, the thinking being that the maps will get ever larger and the device's processing power will remain the same, thus causing a deterioration in performance.

I have used my Sony Xperia T (LT30p) occasionally for directions but the app I use requires a decent mobile data connection whereas the Garmin holds all the maps in 8Gb worth of NV RAM.

I think the Smartphone is much prettier to use than the Garmin, but I know the Garmin inside out thus, it's much easier for me.

If the Garmin died, would I buy another dedicated Satnav? Probably, yes.

I've tried a few built in systems from Citroen & Renault. Both are extremely clumsy.

I don't have the latest hand held toys but am more than happy with my Navman that is set to ding dong warning if I I accidentally exceed the limit by 5 kph.
We had a new TT that Jan had bought app 6 months prior to our trip to use when we were in the UK and she liked the old NM in my 4x4 more.

I've been using sygic on my phone for a couple of years now, I would never go back to a TomTom, even though it was a good satnav

I've tried a few built in systems from Citroen & Renault. Both are extremely clumsy.

You should experience the SAAB DVD sat nav Paul :(
The times I have made a wrong turning due to it's funny idea of the difference between: bear left and turn left now directions :rolleyes:

Do you find that even when you set up your preferences you get different directions when comparing each satnav. I still find the TomTom is more precise and gives the best directions. I found the Vauxhall built-in system in the Vectra was poor and the phone app not that bad. Some I have tried in other cars have been somewhat random. Once I entered the destination into the Vauxhall unit and after a while I thought this wasn't quite right, seemed it decided its own route, so when I entered the details into the phone app it was miles away!

I have a tt6000. The ui is awful. No custom pois for instance. But the permanent live traffic is fantastic. I use mine as an interactive map so in the morning I check the traffic and decide my route to work. Its saved me hours. That said if someone else did as good traffic id be tempted cos the unit is rubbish compared to the One.

Well after being involved in this thread I decided to download Google Maps for my iPhone 6 last night. I shall assess it over the next week or two to see how it performs. The App has talking directions so I should be able to use this via the Bluetooth on my new Parrot handsfree kit. Just need to pop into Halfords now to get a universal phone holder so that I can see the directions at the same time also.

A little tip for easy phone holders etc. I use the Tetrax magnetic system. Small and discreet magnet mounted anywhere on the dash. You then just apply a tiny metal disc on the back of your phone, phone case or satnav. Saves having an ugly windscreen suction bracket obscuring your view and leaving a mark on the screen, letting certain people know you probably have something stored in a cubby hole etc.

one thing with them magnetic discs, if you have a case on your phone apply it to that not the phone. as I did. the thing just kept on falling off with my case on and it was a little pain to keep on taking in and out of the case.

I am happy with the windscreen mount. I leave the SatNav in full view as it's a cheapie (about £140 when I bought it in July 2012) so no-one's going to bother stealing it. If I hide the device then a potential car breaker will assume it's a good one and worth breaking into the car to get it.