Rustyboy7 - Golf GTI

Rustyboy7

hey guys, fairly new to this.

I drive a 2002 Golf gti 2.0 8v (not the fastest I know)

It is black and has 48,000 miles on the clock.

Upgrades/Mods so far -

Remapped up to 127 bhp
18" chrome wheels with black inserts
Pipercross air filter
Window tints
Angel eyes front and rear
De badged (still has vw badges though)
ICE mod - pioneer DVD player, mod speakers, amp and sub

What I want to do next is either an engine swap for a 1.8 turbo then full exhaust system. Or leave engine same and just concentrate on looks.

Over and out

Depends on your budget, how old are you ? ie is insurance going to be a pain.
what about trying to tune up the 2.0 (audi 20v 2.0 head etc)

I'm 25 so insurance isn't a problem mate.

How would I go about tuning up to a 2.0 20v?

I don't know a great deal about engines I'm afraid

Any help or advice is appreciated

at 25 youd be better going the 1.8t route, get the later 180bhp models to start with. the turbos are good up to around 220bhp.

the 2.0 can be tuned but its hard. 20v head from the audi 2.0s ( only avalible for 2 years so like golddust ) higher lift cam, higher compression pistons. have also heard about a throttle bodied version kicking out just over 200

I've been looking into an engine swap but have no idea where to get an engine or who to go to. I live in Scotland and have been looking around but with no luck.

If anyone can help it would be great

What sort of budget are you looking at? Engine swaps can get very costly. It may be worth selling your car and getting a car with a better engine.

Whereabouts in Scotland? i used to go to a place that was out of the back of Bonnybridge - only a small yard but the guy could get you generally what you wanted, you order it up and he will search the breakers auction for you and then have it stripped out of you. Prices all agreed beforehand.

What sort of budget are you looking at? Engine swaps can get very costly. It may be worth selling your car and getting a car with a better engine.

Budget is something I haven't thought about.

My gf and I recently sold our house and had some money left so I am putting a few grand into the car.

I have thought about selling and buying a bigger engined car but this is my affordable dream car, this shape, colour etc

I live about 20 miles of Bonnybridge so thats pretty close!

I am eager to do an engine mod of some kind, my car is certainly not slow the now with the re-map and induction kit but I want faster....lol

Can I not tune to a 16v version?

I don't want to change cars right now as I haven't seen anything I really want.

Just wondered if this is possible and how I would do it?

Seein as you dudes all know a hell of a lot more than me

You might be able to fit a 16V head to your 8v block if the oil/waterways are in the same place. Rather than fiddling with the existing engine I would put my effort into doing your planned engine swap.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back