Running into problems with my D15B

Blackhart

Car
93 4Dr Civic 1.5VT
So i bought my first honda and i've seemed to gotten my self into more trouble than i thought i would be.
First off i prob shouldn't of bought the car but its mine now so im stuck with it lol.

Its a 93 4 Dr with a VTEC-D15B (Not the 3 stage one) that is supposedly a JDM motor with about 45000 on the block. The only thing it currently has done to it is a cold air intake (which im prob gonna replace.) I plan on doing everything i can possibly do to this motor and use it as a learning experience but as of right now its not running perfectly and im not sure why.

First off it randomly sputters at low rpm's. It acts as if im not giving my engine enough gas but it runs like a champ at high rpm's. My friends and i think that i need a new throttle body or the timing might be off but truthfully im not sure that they're sure.

Next im going through gas like thiers no tomorrow. I'm only getting around 18 miles to the gallon. it doesn't matter if i fly everywhere i go or if i do the speed limit (i've tested full tanks of gas doing both).

I kinda think that prob A is related to prob B.

Lastly. If it is the throttle body and i need to replace it ill prob do the intake manifold and get a new ram air intake (i live in ct and it rains a #!#!#!#! load so im thinking no cold air) . I was just wondering if it matters where i start doing upgrades to after market parts.

Last edited:
welcome mate.
to be honest your not going to see major gains from a d engine

when was it last serviced ? oil, oil filter, airfilter, fuel filter, rotor arm, dizzy cap, points, sparks, leads. thin the dizzy cap can be adjusted slightly to advance retart the timing very slightly

It sounds like it is over fuelling to me. Are the plugs very black and oily in appearance? I would suspect the air flow/temp sensor or the lambda.

What sort of MPG are you getting and you driving with a heavy right foot?

pgarner - I don't expect to see massive gains from this engine i know its limits but it doesn't mean i don't want to push them. As for the service i did the oil change and sparks and wires and a new air filter the day i got the car. Not sure what you mean by "points, leads, or dizzy cap" though. I havn't done the fuel filter or the rotor arm.

Waynne - Not sure, ill have to check the plugs after work. But like i said earlier im getting around 18mpg and thats pretty low for this car. and i've adjusted the throttle but im still getting the same slow response and sputtering at low rpm's.

dizzy cap - distributor cap. comes from the coil and distrutates the spark to the HT leads
points - connectors inside the cap normally made of graphite and mounted on springs. cant remember if they are replaceable or if its a case of swapping the dizzy cap itself
leads - the High Tension wires from the dizzy cap to the sparks.

oh ok i got you now. Wires=leads. and i haven't changed the cap

Well i just got a intake manifold with a throttle body from a D16Z6. It should bolt up perfectly if im not mistaken. Gonna throw it on this weekend (hopefully). While im doing that ill do the fuel filter.

Thank you guys for the help. ill let you guys know how it goes. I didn't check my plugs but im hoping wayne is wrong about the sensor. Don't really have the money for a new o2 sensor right now.