Rotary engines RX7 & 8

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you see as the pro's and cons of the Rotory engine?

What are they like to live with on a daily basis.

Torqueless. Poo on petrol. Interesting noise. Those things spring to mind. I'll get some proper opinions down later because I need to pop out.

Ok I listed the main cons already. Add that the apex seals in the RX-7 wear out much more quickly than their piston equivelent, which is the rings really. Not heard anything about the 8's YET.

For the pros, they generate lots of power for their displacement, love to rev and can rev highly. Very smooth power delivery but plenty of engines offer that.

It's different that's for sure but I don't think there's real place for rotary engines as anything other than a gimmick. If you want N/A high revving and high peak power there's V-TEC and it's mimickers (VVTi etc) but you can still retain good MPG and bullet-proof reliability.

The RX-8 is just lame and a big step down from the 7 imo and the 7 has too much competition to be a good choice in it's class. Also, has anyone noticed that the RX-8 has quite a high insurance grouping considering how fast it ISN'T?

I think RX7's are awesome cars. I'd never buy one myself though just because of the high maintenance of them. I've also heard they need rebuilding quite alot too if you push for more BHP.

I heard its something like they need a rebuild every 60k miles and thats if there well serviced and looked after.