Replacement filter, k&N or Pipercross

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
I have just picked up a MX5 and have read apart from adding forced induction the only things worth doing are advance the ignition to 14 degrees, remove the cat and add a 2.5" exhaust and change the air filter for a free flow panel replacement filter, K&N or Pipercross, (Induction kits do not help this engine, hinder if anything). Which is the freeer flowing of these two?

Well I bought it as it was a steal (60k miles £700 with a full MOT and all past MOT's, Been stood for 2 years). drove it 60 miles home thinking this is so inpractical. On sunday I went out for a 5 minute blast and got home 2 hours later wanting to go out again....quite addictive, I spent monday night Tcutting it, looks totally different, the first time I have used Tcut, Brilliant stuff. So now I need to service it.

I'd take filtration capability over max flow any day. Paper filters are cheap and work very well.

Unless of course that the paper filter is likely to have holes ripped through it on account of outrageous turbo pressures and the high vacuum this creates.

Not sure which is more free flowing, but I always prefer Pipercross over K&N. The pipercross are just dry-foam whereas the K&N are oiled, which makes cleaning them more of a faff, and, if you even over oil and some ends up hitting the MAF, well that screws that up too.