Rear Quarter Window Safety Switch

Ok, dull question I know... I've just bought a three year old 911 cabriolet. The rear quarter windows work fine when the hard top is on, however when I close the soft top, the windows will not close. Does anyone know why this might be the case?

Pete

Hi Pete and welcome to TorqueCars. Nice to have you along. A 3 year old 911 should not be having problems with the windows. That is such a wierd problem. Other than the obvious of softtop overlap jamming the window mechanism which would be obvious. I'm guessing the chassis/car may twist a little when the soft top is on and attached and this could be causing the problem you are having. I guess if the window is shut then the soft top still goes on ok? In the summer when the soft top gets warmer and stretches a little it may fix the problem.

Hey, and thanks for replying. The windows work fine when the hard top is on. When the top is removed, the windows cease to work which I assume is some kind of safety mechanism. I don't think there is a physical jam as clearly the window motors are not trying to work. The fact that the windows work when the hard top is up means that whatever microswitch detects the presence of the top is working ok... Your idea of a twisted car is interesting... id the car is twisted, then the soft top might not be correctly locating onto the microswitch...

But yes, weird problem... !