quick hello

justdan

Car
frontera sport
just a quick hi from bonny scotland .........
im driving frontera sport at the minute , my last car was a corsa sport with a c20let dropped in it..... iv got a y22se frontera engine sat in my work unit waiting for a overhaul ....... any idears on what to do with it would be greatful ( scrap man relpies mot required :lol:)

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

hello... top man Frontys rule :mrgreen: own a 2.3td my self the slow oil burner :lol:what do you intend to use it ? is it speed you want or more torque for pulling ? the 2.2 is a good starting point but they do have weak bottom ends on them and i mean weak, they like to spit its dummy out along with its pistons and rods. so if its power your after id be wanting to inspect the bottom end for any play noise wear and tear before going any further.. The other option is to do away with the weak 2.2 and fit a x20xe or even a z20let in it :love:. Id have to check but am 99% sure that the boxes will mach up as there all big block lumps. If its a straight rebuild your doing then skim, port and polish the head, 3 angle over sized valves, mid to fast road cam (this will shift the power band up or down the rev range) 2.5" exhaust, vernia pulleys (makes timing easier with the cams) solid lifters , double valve springs. As for the block.. OIL PUMP (defo), over bore, piston rings, rods, crank light and balanced, new shells and mains, oil seals. I would try and go for ARP rods and bolts as these are race spec and built stronger ....

link for ARP parts *Removed URL as per our T&C's* .... have a shop around first. also forgot to mention you will need it setting up on a r/r after you have had the above mods done :)

Bottom end gave in on this 1 last month lol so it's a rebuild from top to bottom ! Anyhows !
Will start sourcing some of the mods you say !!!! Not sure we're ill start looking tho lol

Iv not even started lol , engine has been moved to my work unit ( wife's business unit Iv commandeered a corner )
Going to start stripping it this week ( rare few days of )
Plan is to strip and get everything clean as possible
Iv a £1500 limit on the build , built will take me 6mnths or so due to work commitments ( I'm a mental health nurse ) and the 1500 is over above period of time , if that make any sense

the problem with the 2.2 is its hard to source after market parts for it and when you do you pay extra for it :( if you google y22se fast road cam see what you get back next to nothink ! but if you do the same for x20xev or x20xe you will find a fair bit on it id have a look in to a convertion and see what was needed to go that route. When you strip the block down you will prob find the crank, cylinder lining, and possibly the head will have chunks out off them or metal on metal action.

If the 2.2 is defo the way you want to go then id concider sourcing an new block, post some pics up of the damage too. Most of the mods i sugested can be done by a local enginnering firm the skim, port, polish, over bore, ballance.

Ok been away for a wee while ! Managed to strip the engine down to find its a x20xe bottom end bolted to a y22se head ! Basically a lump of scrap

Might be able to help you out here as my second car is a 2.2 SRi 150 Vectra :) These engines aren't as bad as they sound tbh. The only major weak point is part of the cam chain which fails and causes totaly failier. Other than that they are pretty good strong engines.

On the plus side, yes there is a good market for tuning parts but you have to look across the pond to America ;) They use this same engine in some of the cars out there and there is a bolt on supercharger you can buy for it which is very easy to fit. Low pressure on standard internals will see you around the 220-230bhp area, done properly and these things can go silly bhp.

Theres 2 Vectras on a vectra owners club that both have the supercharger conversion and both running well over 300bhp. Courtenay sport also do the entire conversion for around £5,500 iirc but the entire engine is rebuilt to spec and stage 1 is something like 240bhp going up to huge gains if your purce is big enough.

Just do the research mate ;) but to give you an idea, here you go...

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/610-2-2-2-4L-Bolt-on-Supercharger-Kit.aspx

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back