Project GT1600 (aka The Reaper)

Introduction

As this is going to be quite a big ongoing project, I thought I may as well get a project thread up for those interested. The car was taken off the road about 10 months ago as I have two cars so only used it as a weekend car anyway. I have plenty of experience from a young age from working on several mates cars and projects and that of my old man. This, however, is my first big project completely on my own.

How the car stands

The car was nearly standard when I got it. It now stands completely stripped weighing 910 kgs and running about 180bhp at 18psi. A GT of the same spec as mine with full interior can run a 14.5 flat quarter mile on crap tyres. So est. low 14's for mine. Bodywork needs attention but is standard.

Plans and goals

Now then, I'm sure I have stated the plans elsewhere on here but I will end up with a stripped, caged, GT with a full (ie blueprintes, forged etc) 1600 build using the 1600 Sporting block running on DTA management. I hope to end up with a dry weight of 900kgs and 250bhp initially just to get it up and running, then push for 300bhp. The suspension and shell will be getting a full overhaul, new bushes, bolts, underseal, few bits of welding etc. I will prep the car and spray it Satin black inside and out.

ANY COMMENTS, QUESTIONS OR CRITISISM (CONSTRUCTIVE PLEASE) WELCOME THROUGHOUT

Last edited:
Ultra-rare forged magnesium Speedline montecarlo's now provisionally sold tonight too :( £600 in need of a repaint/powdercoat but they will be going to a good home hopefully...on a 2ltr 16VT engined Punto :bigsmile:

Also, ARP Head stud kit which you never even saw just sold to a mate in Malta that's coming over for Le Mans. 245 Euros on streetandcircuit, lets just say the lad got a bargain!

Thanks for the kind words Loz, I feel like a bit of a failure in a way but it was just sitting there untouched for months on end. Talking of the blue one...
Standard Punto GT - 1
Mini Cooper S - 0
:lol: He started it.

XYZ Coilovers now sold. Protoxide manifold possible off to Portugal and the lad picking up the cage on saturday might have the LSD too. Just goes to show how in demand and rare some of these parts are I suppose. It's only the first night and I'm being bombarded with messages and offers.

Who wants some PROPER wheels?

Now provisionally sold but beautiful wheels as fitted to the Lancia Delta works cars so I thought I'd show you.

16x7.5 Magnesium Speedline MonteCarlo wheels with good Eagle F1 tyres:

Untitled.jpg

Picture doesn't do them justice. Completely straight and not a single touch of kerbing, just peeling and bubbling paint all over so need a refurb or at the very least a DIY paint job. 4x98 PCD and 58mm centre bore. Beautiful wheels as fitted to the Lancia Delta works cars so I thought I'd show you.

As said only provisionally sold though so offers above £600 would take them as the potential new owner doesn't want them until April. Bargain tbh!

That is definately that, shell went on saturday night. Not a fat lot left that isn't due for the blue one or keeping as spares. Just that Protoxide manifold and the Quaife LSD really. Part of the wants nobody to buy the LSD so I have no option but to install it in the blue one.

Just googled it as I've never heard of the 101 before and it's based on the Fiat 128! Good lad ;)

yea, except the rear end is different in the 101.
bad thing is you cant put bigger engine than 1.6
good things are cheap car, and light weight, somewhere it has 500-600kg.
i am thinking of a 2-3 year project on which the car will have a wide body kit, and some other things, something like a street legal car.

Easy to say without the money in your pocket, but would you actually spend £12k+ on a car only to be fixing it every other day? I wouldn't! They are expensive and difficult to tune, and very fragile. If I wanted that I would have kept the Punto lol.

Have to say I agree MA.
Unless you've got bottomless pockets and all the time in the world you'd choose the Focus any day of the week.
I'm afraid to say that common sense appeals here more than anything.

I would....

But then again, the Intergarle is one of my favouritest cars of all time, so I guess I'm biased, it doesn't bother me about the tuning as I probably wouldn't.

Well yeah, money is a big issue for me at the moment, as in lack of it, there's never any overtime at work.

Chances are I'll never buy and intergrale as I'd be scared of driving it, not because of the performance, just for the fact if I broke a head light and somewhere along the lines the insurance was involved, they'd probably write it off because they couldn't get the parts. A TVR on the other hand now..... a chim 4.0l would suit me nicely.

I do get why you bought the RS, it's pretty no nonsence on the whole but It just doesn't do it for me.

Yeah I know... :/ I've honestly never seen a Punto GT before, so was kinda excited when I started reading through it and saw it hadn't been updated since 2011...!