Price of fuel and your driving

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Has the high price of fuel affected your driving at all?

Are you doing less miles or driving more slowly to keep the costs down?

I really should take it into consideration.... But I enjoy driving and the government and oil companies WILL not take that away from me.

I have to admit that the last couple of years I have had to be gentle and pragmatic in my driving style. I am self employed and there's not sufficient work to fund flirtation with the red line at the moment.

All due to the state of the economy

I try to drive as economically as possible
Only to make driving a little more entertaining to try and get the average mpg as high as possible.
I suppose i could probably have even more fun trying to get the average speed dial up :p

If I am driving around in the civic then I dont push it as there is no point.

Equally if I am in the stagea and dont push it there no point in driving it around

While we're on this subject, a certain somebody has been wining about 31MPG in her 2.2 diesel saab 9-5. I recon that sounds about right.

But I recently worked out that my red Lude 2.2 VTEC (almost twice the power:amuse:) is doing about the same...100miles on £20.

So I stand by my constantly repeated statement: Diesel is for trucks, vans & 4x4s! Diesel cars are just plain dull.

I do not take responsability for the fact that this thread will now become a raging argument.

everyone else is buying small engined cars to save fuel. me being me and only having me to worry about, i have done the opposite and upgraded to a 2.5 twin turbo which costs me about £70 a week getting to work (50 miles per day round trip). i bought the car to have fun and i know that costs money but generally i drive at a reasonable pace anyway and i know how to get better fuel consumption when i want to

the layout inside is identical, especially as my VR4 has the interior from my V6 (both manual which is very rare in a VR4). the standard interior is like a normal family car with soft seats so i put the sport seats from the V6 into it (VR4 of that age does not have side airbags though). side support, lumbar support and height adjustable front and rear (drivers seat only) does help to get the driving position right.
i cant comment on standard suspension (yet, but will have in a couple of weeks) on the VR4 as it has bilstein springs (-60mm i believe) but both cars have front and rear strut braces although the front is only standard on the VR4 and neither had a rear as standard. i am assuming the rear will make the same difference as it did on the V6 which was definately noticeable although that one was a 2 piece round bar (custom built by a club member) and the one in the VR4 is a cusco straight bar. the V6 was on coilovers in the end which makes even more of a difference but not to my liking. handling was fantastic on a smooth road but it skipped rather than slid when you hit a stone or bump on a corner which was a bit scary at speed. however, it did manage to bully things like integras on the twisty roads (couldnt keep up on straights though) with a new set of falkens.
the VR4 is another world! performance is pretty much standard (power mods would affect an opinion anyway) but it is very quick for its size and weight. every bit of road is an overtaking opportunity rather than giving it some thought like i had to do with the V6.
from a handling perspective i cant reeeeeeally compare yet. kuhmo tyres are fine in the dry but rubbish in the wet and i cant put the falkens on yet. still have the front hubs to do along with brembo upgrade (which requires the hub carriers from my V6) so there is no point in having the wheel alignment done yet. however, the 4WD (i have a non AYC diff fitted for now) does give more confidence in cornering although the bilsteins do lift a wheel quite often on uneven surfaces. the other day the revs shot up hitting a roundabout at speed so i think all 4 wheels lifted for a split second.
i love the looks of the galant. that shark nose does make it look very aggressive and the VR4 does give it the power behind the looks although i am not keen on the VR4 pre-facelift bumper so the V6 facelift bumper and grille will be going on eventually as will with the glass headlights/indicators to get rid of that awful orange filter in the indicator (i had silvatech bulbs in the V6 so no orange to be seen at all).

overall it is a fantastic car. it handles like a sports car and has the performance to keep up with a lot of them but still offers a huge bootspace (6 foot of floorspace with the rear seats folded and that does not include moving the front seats forward). it looks good and has plenty of comforts to make it easier to live with than an EVO (from what i have heard) and they all seem to last. digital climate control, 4 x 1 touch electric windows, heated folding electric mirrors, remote central locking not forgetting other options that i dont have such as 1 touch electric sunroof (or moonroof if its the larger one) and electric heated leather seats.
that is not to say that they are faultless though. the dashboard clock needs soldering and that applies to all models whether uk or import. the front lower ball joint arms are a known weak point as is the rear diff which, like earlier EVOs, is not strong enough to handle the torque going through it (276BHP (256BHP in autos) with 271 lb ft) but there are various options such as LSD di#!#!#!, open di#!#!#! and the super AYC diff which is a straight swap from later EVOs.
some parts are easily available although things like brakes offer a greater range if you get EVO spec (front discs are 294mm which is identical to EVO4). servicing is the same 4.5k interval and advice is only use amsoil or castrol edge 0 - 30 fully synthetic engine oil so not the cheap junk readily available in a high street retailer.
a big selling point is value for money. i paid £1500 for a 1997 manual with bilstein springs, cusco rear strut brace, wedssport alloys and stainless steel downpipe and exhaust upgrades. you try and get that kind of power for that kind of money at that kind of age on any other car. a 1997 EVO 4 is around 3 times the price!
fuel consumption seems to be around 22MPG which drops to single figures on track plus a session will use a set of brake pads. i have only been on track as a passenger but the handling was unbelievable for such a big car. not as quick as the lighter cars but certainly no slouch!

While we're on this subject, a certain somebody has been wining about 31MPG in her 2.2 diesel saab 9-5. I recon that sounds about right.

But I recently worked out that my red Lude 2.2 VTEC (almost twice the power:amuse:) is doing about the same...100miles on £20.

So I stand by my constantly repeated statement: Diesel is for trucks, vans & 4x4s! Diesel cars are just plain dull.

I do not take responsability for the fact that this thread will now become a raging argument.

Not a raging argument, your view is shared by many. And many diesels leave me cold but not all of them. Sadly I cannot afford a 535d lol :-(