Possible new car: 106 Rallye

Freddie

Road Burner
Hiya guys, just looking for a bit of general advice..

Getting a bit tired of my car.. I would like someting a bit more hardcore for the summer. I thought about a 16v conversion in my car, but seems like more hassle than it worth when there are so many 16v's floating round.

I've seen a white Rallye 16v on eBay. It's got 135k on the shell/gearbox, with a 38k 106GTi engine. The has changed the cambelt, head gasket, and clutch, and it has had a full service since being put in the car. I've contacted the seller and he wants £1700 cash, by tomorrow! Says he has someone willing to pay but not untill sat/sunday and he ideally needs the money A.S.A.P.

I've checked him out on the Rallye Register and he seems to be a decent enough bloke. He works as a mechanic and did the conversion quite recently himself.

It will cost me around £860 to insure TPFT with mods declared. This is a tad cheaper than my full comp insurance on my current Saxo VTR. (Which I would hopefully sell for around £2500).

Most people think I'm mad going 'backwards' and getting an older, cheaper car. Opinions? I don't think it's as pretty as mine, and am yet to check it over, but seems like I could have alot more fun in this car!

You really must go with your head and not your heart on this one. I suspect you will be buying a finance consuming car which needs constant tlc. If you go away for 6months or so it might be fun in the short term but you really need to look at the hidden costs you might be getting into. Are there lots of reciepts for service items or is it just serviced as a last resort? Check for oil leaks - broken CV boots and the usual problem areas if you decide to go ahead.

Get it. You can have fun in it. Its a bit cheaper the mechanic would have looked after his own car. I bet he was a bit Anal over servicing and stuff like that.