Plain clothes police cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I saw 4 Plain clothes police cars yesterday. All were "normal" looking cars and hatchbacks ranging from a 323 and Golfs to a Vectra estate. If it wasn't for their dash mounted lights I wouldn't have noticed them at all!

Do you think that plain clothes police cars are unfair when used for traffic patrols?

we have quite a few focus st's kicking about here, only real way to spot them is the flasher kit on front bumper next to fog light.

personally im not to sure on where i stand on them, on one hand i agree as you will get driving idiots spotting a marked car, slowing down and driving normally and then as soon as out of sight going back to being idiots (same as 'static speed camera syndrome') whereas unmarked cars can catch them being idiots and driving dangeriously helping to keep our roads safe, on the other hand i have know of a few times an unmarked has basically tempted someone into racing etc just to 'pull them'

but all in all i think i agree with them,

we have quite a few unmarked vehicles turn up to a regular car meet held every wednesday night that i go to and to be fair they do help to keep the place in order and safe. :)

As I've said before, unmarked cars are not used exclusively for traffic work. In fact, it's less than 50% of their intended use.

They're very useful for infiltrating motorway convoys, perhaps with drugs or arms being carried without the offenders being aware. Clearly this won't work with a liveried car.

And most aren't going to blow their cover on a main road unless you really are being silly.

The unofficial line is that they ignore anything below the mid 90's unless there's another obvious flaw in driving or with the vehicle.

HDi glad to hear this on the limit, although wont be going out of my way to check it out. Actually think that they are in general a good idea and as mentioned above can be somewhat calming - as long as you dont drive like an a*se then nothing to really worry about, its the liveried police i seem to have issues with or rather they do with me.

AS I said, it's an unofficial guideline. If they're instructed to go and catch speeders then that's what they'll do. It's not any traffic officer's favourite duty though.

Covert cars aren't just for catching speeders - CID makes extensive use of the same vehicles and they couldn't care less how fast you're driving.

we have cars like that awhile in ireland, but its quiet easy to spot them

its always a d reg (d for dublin) theres a garage that tunes these cars
the garage is a mystery as you never see where a law car comes from (johns motors etc)
it always has 5 digits on the reg
more arials than windows on its roof

before they never had blue lights mounted on the dash, but now their everywhere
im sure they have lights on their tyres now (ha ha)

but the q

is it fair that they use cars like this for traffic??

well yes, your either a good driver or someone who deserves to be pulled over

Our local police are using Skoda's mostly now. There is a large Volvo estate which is used as an unmarked police car, I'm sure that catches out quite a few. There are lights behind the grill but nothing really that would give it away externally.

I saw not too long ago in Essex a Transit type van with a ladder on the roof, now that is sneaky.

Thats probably a tactical support unit.
The ladders are for building entry.
Doubt they will pull you for speeding.

Ministry of defence police probably.

Blimey Paul! The things you know o_O

Are you ex MI5 or MI6 by any chance? Do you keep a Walther PPK under the pillow? I don't think I'd like to cross your path on a dark night ;)

I'm sure as gentleman you would allow me one last phone call to my mum to tell her I love her before you do me in :lol: