Piggyback chips

Davsurfa

Torque Junkie
Car
Hyundai Coupe 2.0l
I've had a mooch at a remapping for my A3 and for around £300-£400, and bear in mind it's only a 1.6 engine, I'd only gain 10bhp!!! So being a cheapskate I took a trip to the Bay of E and found these "Piggyback ecu chips". With the guarantee of +25bhp increase and a bargain price tag of just twentyfive beer tokens so I'm kinda tempted. Now I'm not entirely naive and to be quite honest I really don't expect this item to live up to the guaranteed +25bhp as all it does is tell the ecu that the air temperature, that is heading in to the engine, is colder than it actually is. I understand that the engine would then pump more fuel in to match the "colder/more dense" air.
However, my questions are:
A) Is it likely to gain absolutely any horsepower whatsoever?? I did ask this on another forum and I had a reply saying they had one on their TDi and it'd made a massive difference, but it does say in the advert that it WILL NOT WORK ON DIESEL ENGINES.
And B) Is it likely to cause any damage, long or short term, to my engine?

Cheers for all replies and input.

Oh yeah I nearly forgot, I have a Cobra Supersport backbox and a K&N induction kit with a heat shield and cold air feed. Dunno if that'd make any difference to the chip fitting.

yes and yes

think about it you ECU is being told that cold air is going into the cylinder so puts more fuel in. your car does this to begin with anyway when its cold however it will cause the car to run richer than it should.

beer must be cheap where you are ;) go to maplin and buy a resister for 2p and youll get the same effect.

in short stay away form any form of kiddyback unless your ECU cannot be mapped for some reason and even them you should be looking at a couple of hundred for hte ECU

So essentially it'd just run on choke all the time? How on earth is that gonna produce +any horsepower?? Also in the ad it states that the said chip can improve mpg. Surely it'd have the opposite effect? I'm thinking they'll be avoided now. Still curious though.

Yes they should be avoided unless your young and drive a tuna can with 10 bazillion hp

yeah it would be like running on choke all the time. this will creat power by running slightly richer.
cant see how they give you better MPG now if it made it run lean then yes.

£287 (£250 + vat) from custom code who deal with vags
1.6 here

you may also be lucky they did have 30% off for a while not heard if its still going, was 4 months ago when i enquired

Hmmm....... Maybe I should just chop it in against a 1.8t? Or download a remap program and have a crack at it myself? How much is a replacement ecu? Any ideas?

do you have the part code or engine code ? ive got ETKA open already it is slightly out of date and in euros

how easy - pretty easy to do over long time. remember that youve got a load of parameters to moniter and make sure you get spot on, hense the reason why good maps cost around £300-400 whereas you can buy a cd full of them off ebay for the same price and will do loads of engines / cars.

only engine i found quickly was the AEH for around that time

eng.JPG

engine control unit AEH manual gearbox

Capture.JPG

645 euros £565 maybe slightly lower now

got it off a mate that used to have a skoda Vrs no longer needed it and i got it as payment for fixing his PC. dunno where he got it from
could do with some updates as its only up to something like 07 but elps me find the parts im looking for. rather big at something like 9gb however

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back