Non spark petrol engines,

Hmm, I remeber when they first played with this. I think it's bold but should work very well. Will be interesting to see what a turbo version would be like.

Interesting find. I wondered why they hadn't done something like this before. It is logical, why should diesels get to be more refined and efficient than the good old petrol engine.

This was being researched back in 2006. Pgarner and I commented back then.

It's an interesting principle. All we need now is for someone to devise a spark ignition diesel engine so that we have all the silly stuff covered :)

yeah this is old stuff diesotto (diesel otto - otto being german petrol)

GM also had started on this around the same time. but it was merc that i was reading up on at the time.
1.8 with Varible compression and direct injections with a turbo getting 240bhp and 300 odd ftlb but still getting 40mpg (remember this was late 2006 early 2007)

yeah this is old stuff diesotto (diesel otto - otto being german petrol)

GM also had started on this around the same time. but it was merc that i was reading up on at the time.
1.8 with Varible compression and direct injections with a turbo getting 240bhp and 300 odd ftlb but still getting 40mpg (remember this was late 2006 early 2007)

I remember the discussion well. Otto is the Otto cycle, the 4 stroke engine cycle. Nicolaus Otto is the man behind the moniker.

If I'm correct the engine relies upon the deliberate pre-ignition (compared to traditional engines) of fuel.

40mpg and 240bhp (and the 300 plus lbft) is easily achieveable with modern diesel engines. Not a 1.8 litre, that's to be admitted, bu, unless there's a massive weight saving I cannot see an application for this. Leave it to Daimler Benz to develop further - we might yet see something radical and interesting.

yup thats how it worked.
there was a seperate cam system that adjusted the crank hight which in turn changed the compression which along with the direct injection allowed the detonation to start just prior to TDC. in other words when the spark would ignite.

official testing showed 39mpg 235bhp and 295ftlb all from a 1.8 turboed petrol engine
must have been good as they had it fitted to what was going to be replacing the S class. still in a smaller car such as the C class would make a nice little driving car