Newby but oldby

humble

Car
Suzuki Swift SZ4
A quick hello to all motorheads, yes new to this forum, bur previously
belonged to Rover club and sent in mods of ITG induction kit plus other little mods that helped this little 25 to crack along nicely, then went on to Kia Ceed 1.6 and loved it put Iridium plugs in and New foam ITG filter and can say was delighted, but my postcode expensive for insurance+ road tax versus low mileage meant time to move on so just got the new Suzuki swift SZ4 1.24 petrol, actually more nippy than the book says, just put in a K&N filter but this car really is incredibly noisey. Most of the panels wheel arches have no damping pads on them and the induction noise whilst ideal for a young gad-about is annoying to say the least for an old git like me so as soon as weather permits ill be doing some serious damping work, the Ceed GS was actually cheaper than the Suzuki and to put it bluntly if Suzuki was not offering this car VAT free would probably not have bought it it is built down rather cheaply.. Story so far will let you know outcome of sound improvements and possible induction kit, till then
Safe and fun driving ..Humble

Hi and welcome to the forum. Get yourself up to ten posts so you can show us some photos :)

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

Newby but oldby, Sorry for long delay in update with the Swift Noise, but the weather has hardly been conducive to stripping out trim etc, but have now sufficient materials to damp the wheel arches etc have already used SYLGLASS strip in the tailgate and treated the Spare wheel housing with felt etc, to some effect but main noise still barking from the Induction "air box" so have been laying sylglass along the inside of the bulkhead where there is no effective noise absorbtion materials, so have made up a felt covering to buffer this and expect a better improvement, just waiting for a sunny day as need to fit bumper protectors as well which should be done at around 18 degrees
Watch this space for update Humble

Thanks for the update, I think you should start a project thread on this. I also omitted to welcome you so....

Hi there, I hope you are well. May I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do. (It gets quite addictive at times.)

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"! (It's also great when people start new threads and discussions and all adds to the great debate.)

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

Re: Newby but oldby.. Re soundproofing mods, had some trouble getting side trims off rear of Swift, plastic not conducive to undoing and refitting, decided to stick with original basic idea of thick felt in the rear spare wheel well, additionally, removed rear trim from tailgate and used sylglass to dampen this area that rings badly.Since fitting the K&N filter the induction noise increased so as previously stated removed the plastic moulding entirely with the windscreen wiper assy from front of car (just Simple Clips) and then used sylglass all around the exposed bulkhead and around access to pollen filter, but not where the water flows away down to the wings, waxoiled that area..
Then underneath this bulkhead where there is no damping, placed two layers of sylglass
along the exposed metal, could not put the felt there as originally wanted as there is an air conditioning pipe to close to this bulkhead, Overall then induction noise reduced significantly and road noise down acceptably.. K&N filter a great improvement on pick up acceleration over original filter and was a genuine surprise, didn't expect that much but did increase induction noise Sylglass is just a roofing mastic from Wickes and builders merchants, sticks like mud to a blanket and will not drop off costs about £8
per roll great stuff, cos you can layer it for more effect.. Good luck any doers
Humble

Have now gone a step further with the improved induction to this latest swift will give some photo's later, but first descriptions.. The air box comes in three pieces, the front section simply unclips and pulls off revealing the coils on top of the engine, this section is quite cheap so bought a spare; and so i was able to cut it such that there was room for a 90degree silicon pipe which with a rubber larger coupler from the same company formed an extention right up to the inlet box section on front of the car this being 60mm dia opening to about 90mm with the coupler thus increasing the air inlet to this car which before is severely restricted by a small rubber termination piece on the end of the inlet pipe and right into the hot engine bay YUK, next, in order to facilitate the fixing of this pipe assembly it is necessary to rearrange the water bottle filler stem
this comes as a detachable tube that locks into the main bottle so by pulling out of this stem from a simple grommit you can turn the hole pipe around some 90degrees..By making a simple plate bolted to existing holes on the same support frame you can make a locking arrangement with suitable holes and tywraps thus moving the whole water bottle out of the way of the new silicon hose, i have also covered the underside of the filter box with an aluminium heat deflector, but cannot be too sure by how much this deflects the high temperature under this bonnet and making the whole air box quite hot, however mods are still in progress but the new arrangement certainly improves the pickup and accelleration of this car quite markedly .. Have to say the
design of this airbox assembly is cronic it is difficult to make improvements because the front section of airbox protects the coils from water ingression so only a makeshift improvement is possible without serious alterations but am working on it, car is quieter
more responsive and more fun to drive, overall a good improvement.. cheers
Humble

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back