gladrags

Torque Junkie
Car
Focus 2.0
Hi just joined. running an old Focus with a big thirst for petrol, maybe thinking of a diesel. been put off a bit by horror stories of turbos, exhaust gas recirculating valves etc. hoping to find some info.
generally interested in cars and DIY projects.

Hello and a very warm welcome from me the Admin, it's great to have you along and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Don't worry about turbos etc on diesels, do you research carefully. Most early MK1 models I would avoid then as they bring out the MK2 it's time to look at later Mk1's where issues have been ironed out before the new tech gets tested in the Mk2.

What makes and models are you looking at?

Thanks for the welcome obi and hopefully I will fit in OK. I'm thinking of getting something biggerthan the Focus, I like my Fords so maybe the Mondeo 2litre or 2.2 I also like the VW Audi group say the Passat or A4. cash is tight maybe 5 to £6K wouldn't like to go mych north of that. I like the mid range punch of the diesel, not into flying starts from the traffic lights it's the 30 to 50 mph effortlessly without changing down I like as well as economic cruise. I read a lot about turbos > £1,000 and other components like EGR etc but also the issue of the EU talking about putting a levy on the UK because we've failed to meet emissions standards and I'm not sure what's coming down the line for diesel owners.

Vag group is my zone! Stick with the Bosch ecus, and the late 140 pd engines and you'll be fine. ;) Not sure Audi reliability is up there where it used to be though sadly! Pre 2004 VAG group cars seem pretty solid and reliable though.

I have the PD170 engine which is brilliant but I would agree with Waynne and get the 140 version then do a Darkside Developments turbo upgrade on it. There's also no DPF issues with the 140.

I reckon also the Mondeo ST models are going to rise in value soon especially the rarer petrol ones.
There is a Rover 75 V8 if you can find one. Luxury and a 5lt V8 soundtrack

thanks for the information gents interesting to know about the PD engine potential when everything's common rail these days and no DPF would be a definite plus.
the Mondeo ST and the Rover V8? I'm looking for something more frugal although the soundtrack would <almost> make it worthwhile.

dont be put off by those problems as they are easily sorted before they fault i just sorted the egr and dpf filter on mine and they are easily avoidable problems :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back