New GTO!

northern jim

Car
2002 Galant 2.5 V6
My 1992 GTO TT is finally arriving on the 25th Oct, and as yet is completely standard.

The first things I'm planning on getting done are a boost controller, re-map, larger wheels, and I'd like the Lambo doors that you sometimes see about. (Have been looking at Sumiyakas website and am planning on taking the car to them for any work they can do). So, a few questions:

Does anyone know if 19" wheels work without spacers, or even 20s?

Are the Lambo doors a no-go? I've heard some horror stories...

How much am I looking at for larger, drilled/grooved brake discs and uprated callipers (i.e. Brembos or similar), also heard that drilled discs can be cracked by the standard GTO callipers?

What sort of costs and power increase can I expect from a re-map/boost controller, and do I also have to change the exhaust system?

Thanks for any advice!
Jim

The first thing you need to do is a full cambelt service, this will save you heartache in the future. Have a full compression check done and plug check/replacement, this will tell you how good the engine is regarding fitting a boost controller and the plugs will probably need changing anyway for the B/C.The ECU is not mapable, there are various options available depending on your budget. Power increases are dependent on several factors but all in accordance with how good your engine is to start with.

Brake options; again depends on your budget. Yes wheels can fit without spacers, even up to 20" variants but you have to find the right set.Lambo doors !! If you like that thing i guess. Be aware how heavy these doors are in standard format, fully up in the wind they are a tad dodgy. Yes of course they fit but don't buy cheap ones, they don't last. We have fitted them for customers.

Ok, thanks for the help! Am looking to spend no more than 3k on mods before Christmas, with the lambo doors being the lowest on the list. How much am I looking at for the full cambelt service and compression test? I would imagine the comp. test is not all that easy due to the way the engine is mounted? Can you get hold of 19 or 20" wheels, or is it a question of finding them?

Cheers,
Jim

The full cambelt service is £520 plus v.a.t. Can't remember what the com test price is, look at our website for prices regarding a Spark Plug service, it will give an idea as it's basically the same work with the use of a comp tester added. To be honest, if fitting a boost controller, the use of copper plugs is recommended and will be cheaper than the standard Platinum plugs anyway.
I'm off looking at some new alloys for myself within the next couple of weeks so i'll know more then.
My current alloys use a 5mm spacer which i need for my rims to clear my 355 discs and six pot calipers.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back