New brake pads

daaft

Wrench Pro
Car
Pug 306
Hi guys, i have a small question to ask.

Ive recently had new brakes fitted to my car; Brembo 4 pots and im lookin at buyin some new brake pads as the ones i have at the moment squeal a fair bit. The problem i have is i dont know what size pads i need? Or if i need a specific size? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Do you not have a specification of the ones fitted or know what other vehicle they came off? The only other option is to remove one and draw a template in order to get them matched. However you'll need to meaure everything to ensure you get the right thickness too.

If the Brembo calipers are the same as the 406 four piston calipers then use either Peugeot OEM pads for that fitment or Brembo branded ones. Both of these will be of Brembo manufacture.

I'm assuming you've fitted the whole assembly ie. 305mm discs, calipers, carriers, pads, and hoses.

The Brembo front brake setup has been known for being a little noisy during moderate usage, even in the much heavier 406. Get the whole braking system bled thoroughly, thus replacing all the fluid from reservoir to caliper pistons, front and back. The brake reservoir also serves the clutch master cylinder so bleed that as well to remove risk of contamination.

If the whole front brake setup is new then you need to make some allowances for running in the new pads and discs. Traditionally this was little more than just braking gently for the first 100-200 miles.

Modern pad formulations need different treatment:...

Assuming that the discs and pads are all brand new then there's no need to align new pad faces to second time round discs.

You need to be very very gentle the first time you drive with brand new friction parts.

Once you've covered ten miles or so then the best thing is to start building up some heat in the pads to 'cure' the remaining resins and polymers in the pads. You need to build up a thin layer of pad material onto the disc to assist with adhesive friction rather than the abrasive friction that full bore pedal applications cause.

Best done with a series of progressive brake applications from say 50mph to 10mph. Don't come to a halt - build up speed again and re apply the brakes firmly. Not hard enough to trigger the ABS, but hard enough to make you aware of very firm retardation.

Do this several times. If you do have to stop then keep your foot OFF the pedal - you do not want to make an imprint of the pad onto the disc. This will cause vibration if you keep you foot on the pedal.

After 6 or 7 50mph to 10mph braking exercises you need to let the whole assembly cool off. Drive around cautiously, keeping good air movement across the brakes for 10 minutes or so.

At this point you have probably done the job with new discs and pads.

Proceed to drive normally for the next few days and assess in your own mind the brake feel and performance. If it's not what you expect then try again.

The worst thing to do in these days of modern brake linings is to brake gently all the time. This just glazes the pad surfaces, leaving you with poor pedal feel and indeterminate pedal response.

One or two hefty brakes will get rid of any glazing though :bigsmile: Speaking of which, my mate took me out in his FQ340 earlier in Nottingham. Brembo 6-pots on the front I think and my god did that stop, nearly choked me unconscious :lol:

Tried some copper grease on the back of the pads?

Don't be too savage with new pads straight away. Build up the heat over a few dozen miles before you start the conditioning process I've described above.