needing help

R

razr1001

hey ppl, im have been wondering this for a lil while and cant seem to figure it out, its prob very obv but for the life of me i cant figure it lol

the question is what is it that when you shift gears what bit of kit gives it that distinctive sound, i cant really discribe it but like cold air been realised, i cant figure what gives it that???:confused:

if anyone knows plz let me know

cheerz ppl

Sounds like you are describing the dump valve noise that most turbo owners have these days. It a device that releases excess pressure built up when the turbo is still spinning increasing boost when the throttle is shut. This was normally a quiet piece of kit until rally cars started using 'vocal' ones that released it quickly and efficiently and now everyone seems to have them.

It is also used to show off down the street, accelerate quickly, back off the gas, this alows the turbo to increase the boost, which is not entering the engine, the pressure valve pops open and whooooosh!

Am I right TB?

hey ppl, im have been wondering this for a lil while and cant seem to figure it out, its prob very obv but for the life of me i cant figure it lol

the question is what is it that when you shift gears what bit of kit gives it that distinctive sound, i cant really discribe it but like cold air been realised, i cant figure what gives it that???:confused:

if anyone knows plz let me know

cheerz ppl
im guessing a dump valve mate

Last edited:
That will probably be a dump valve. Their real purpose is to stop a turbocharger from stalling when the clutch is depressed during upchanges by short circuiting the turbo thus allowing it to carry on spinning at a speed such that it can provide boost almost immediately the next gear is engaged.

The toilet flushing type noise is the sound of excess exhaust being vented to the atmosphere.

its either a dump valve or a serious problem, get a pic of your engine on here mate, we'll be able to tell straight away if your car has a dump valve or not

welcome to tc aswell

I'd say a dump valve which is a turbo only gadget.

You can get an electronic fake dump valve sound now for non turbo cars! :lol:

Na, he means the speaker ones that mount into the engine with a sensor on the clutch and it makes a dump valve sound when the clutch is depressed ;)