need help with lowering

dan clio mk1

Wrench Pro
i have a clio mk1 diesel and i want to lower it to make the handling better and all round looks better but i am stuck on how for to drop it there is 35mm 40mm and 55mm lowering springs plus shortened shocks which i am looking at is there any1 who has done it before or knows whats best please reply

dunno on car specific mate but 35-40mm is your best bet. 55 id say is way toooo low considering the state of roads in britian. youll be catching the bumper or worse sump on speed bumps / potholes. shorter shocks are also an idea esp if the old ones are shot.

ok thanks i think i will go 4 35mm then hence the roads and ur concern with 55mm 40 maybe that bit 2 close but havin it that 35mm will make it handle better wont it

depends on the car, theres not much in 5mm really. if you were really bothered about the handling you should look for a coilover kit but you may have trouble with that

hi mate on all 3 mk1 clios i had i dropped them 40mm and the stance was spot on wit 15" alloys and 195/45/15 tyres i used koni shocks and springs and managed to lower the torsion bar myself with a little guidance from a mate

After what Fingers said about me in the 'can someone explain to me' thread in the general car chat forum, I am now somewhat vary about saying anything :) .......Hang on, no I'm not:

Be aware that lowering a car changes the angle between the suspension and steering rack (carefully designed by the car manufacturer). This can introduce 'bump steer' (the wheel turns in and out when the suspension moves up and down) making the car jittery on anything other than very smooth surfaces.

You also change the angle of the suspension with the road surface when lowering a car by simply reducing spring length. This can have detrimental effects on handling, although this may be masked by the stiffer suspension 'feeling better'.

Having said all this, lowering by 30mm car shouldn't have too detrimental an effect on a road car, but watch out for increased or uneven tyre wear.

If you are serious about improving your car's handling as opposed to just doing what everyone else does (often badly), go to a library and order 'HOW TO BUILD AND MODIFY SPORTSCAR AND KIT CAR SUSPENSION AND BRAKES FOR ROAD AND TRACK' by Des Hammill.

Last edited: